Sign in to follow this  
Stefan Glienke

Addendum to Martin Fowler quote

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand.

I would like to add:

"because good compilers can turn such code into the most efficient code."

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

I would like to add:

You OK hun?

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

I would like to add:

I like it! Could mean we can focus more on user experience and let compiler do its thing better than us.

14 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Could mean we can focus more on user experience and let compiler do its thing better than us.

Imagine if somebody could invent such a compiler. Er, no, wait, ...

1 minute ago, David Heffernan said:

Imagine if somebody could invent such a compiler. Er, no, wait, ...

Well, I can charge more for better user experience than the code I write, even if very efficient. But that's my experience and Stefan's suggestion could help.

as Bill talked... the hardware is been more efficient than programming language last years...

both created by human!

maybe the excess in optimize code and code is been the evil in this hystory.

before, we had wait 1h for a report, today 1s is very long time.

--- programner: I think that needs optimize my code!

Moore's law applyed!

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, emailx45 said:

as Bill talked... the hardware is been more efficient than programming language last years...

both created by human!

maybe the excess in optimize code and code is been the evil in this hystory.

before, we had wait 1h for a report, today 1s is very long time.

--- programner: I think that needs optimize my code!

Moore's law applyed!

No. Whilst for some applications, performance is not important, there are many many fields where we desperately want computers to do their work faster. And better compilers would make a huge difference. 

As Delphi users were are handicapped by our compiler being much worse than compilers for almost all other languages. 

Yes! is fact!

hardwares had more evolution than compilers!

if a hardware have a bug, it die!

if a compiler have a bug, ok... let's wait a little more... editions more later...

--- Ohhh ... I think that RTL or compiler have a bug ... do you know?

--- hummmm... let's test again in another device

the negative side started when, in order to popularize their products, the solution development companies (computer programming) disseminated the famous "WIZARDs" worldwide.

Today, a beginner just has to click a few clicks on an IDE and have their application ready for use, either locally or on the internet. You create a complete website just by answering a few questions that interest you. There is no more motivation to learn "concepts" and "principles", "techniques", etc. simply solving a specific problem is enough.

The rest ... then we release a "patch". It was like that with 64bits for Android, even though ~ 4 years old at least for Embarcadero to release something about it. So it was with hundreds of other minor cases that even today, many professional and commercial developers complain about it.

that is, where is the preemptive action, the proactivity, at least to the customers who pay and expensive for the support ...?

Can you even be an excellent coder, where are the counterparts? @David Heffernan You especially say you're on XE7, why not on 10.4? Is your compiler better than the current one? or are you simply nostalgic?

Notice that I wrote "efficient code" - it's not only about applications running fast (enough) but also energy efficient which most people tend to forget.

@emailx45 Perhaps there's a language barrier, but in this topic we are talking about the efficiency of the code generated by the compiler.

You especially say you're on XE7, why not on 10.4?

Because for me there has been nothing added since XE7 that would bring enough benefit to justify the time cost of migrating.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Naturelly, the language is a barrier, mainly when local-expression (slang) is used or someone (like me) dont domain another language!

But here, what was written can also be understood by any fool, even if it is not a computer!

The inefficiency of the compiler, especially for OP, is evident, and understandable, since it is the result of a human idea!

but, in another side, then reforce my perspective!

"the little evolution of the software in relation to the hardware!"

thanks David and Stano for re-affirm it the "like"!

Edited by Guest