PeterPanettone

Update the Instances List when in Source Code Editor! - Please vote for quality report

While in Form Designer mode, when switching from one unit to another unit (e.g. by selecting another tab), the Instances List in the Object Inspector is being updated with the Object Instances of the new unit. So far so good.

Unfortunately, this is not the case in Source Code Editor. However, the Object Inspector (and thus the Instances List in the Object Inspector) is often needed also when the Source Code Editor is active!

So this bug should be fixed and the Instances List in the Object Inspector being updated while the Source Code Editor is active when switching from one unit to another unit and the new unit contains object instances!

Please vote for this quality report to have this bug fixed:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-32183

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Rather not. It would unnecessary slow down changing between units. A lot. An unusable way lot.

There is no slowing down from updating the Instances List in Object Inspector when switching from one unit to another unit.

Rather, the slowing down occurs when having to switch from Source Code Editor to Form Designer and then back to Source Code Editor on the new unit, only for the purpose of updating the Instances List in Object Inspector!

5 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

The bug report would be so much clearer with screenshots of the issue you are describing.

What screenshots would you like?

1 minute ago, PeterPanettone said:

What screenshots would you like?

Oh, if you have to ask, then I completely misunderstood the issue. Feel free to ignore my comment.

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

There is. On the other hand, I like the way it is, I can have my object selected meanwhile changing units.

Why on earth should the selection be cleared? On what occasion?

Nonsense.

12 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

There is. On the other hand, I like the way it is, I can have my object selected meanwhile changing units.

Why on earth should the selection be cleared? On what occasion?

Nonsense.

The object stays NOT selected while switching unit in Designer mode.

Your statement is WRONG. (While I understand your point of view).

When writing source code in the Source Code Editor (80% of the time), one often has to access the Object Inspector with the objects of the current unit. So it would be important to have the Instances List of the Object Inspector always updated.

Edited by PeterPanettone

2 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Yes it's a bit annoying, they should fix that instead! 😉

As the opinions about this matter seem to be divided, maybe there should be OPTIONS to set the behavior in this case.

17 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Oh, if you have to ask, then I completely misunderstood the issue. Feel free to ignore my comment.

My question had no ironic undertone, I really meant it. I agree that reports are clearer when containing screenshots, and I thought about inserting screenshots.

3 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Yes, or a small IDE expert could do it for you too.

You mean, an IDE expert that updates the Instances List of the Object Inspector with the objects of the current unit? This is a brilliant idea.

1 minute ago, PeterPanettone said:

My question had no ironic undertone, I really meant it. I agree that reports are clearer when containing screenshots, and I thought about inserting screenshots.

Just reading it you are referring to numerous views and it would be good to see the screenshot(s) with what changes and what doesn't change. Otherwise it's hard to imagine, unless replicating in my IDE and making sure I get same results. With screenshots I can decide right away, but to take time to properly test each ticket, it takes a lot more effort.

6 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Just reading it you are referring to numerous views and it would be good to see the screenshot(s) with what changes and what doesn't change. Otherwise it's hard to imagine, unless replicating in my IDE and making sure I get same results. With screenshots I can decide right away, but to take time to properly test each ticket, it takes a lot more effort.

You are right. I will try to add some screenshots to make the matter clearer.

• Thanks 1