Sign in to follow this  
c0d3r

1 error + 1 error = 3 errors? where is the extra one?

55 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Since I prefer short blogs over books, I suggest googling: " is attention to detail useful?" and you will find many blogs and even books that might be helpful to you, in software development and also in life.

Is attention to details useful? Yes. But also context matters. How useful is rearranging the chairs on Titanic?

• Like 1

Just now, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Is attention to details useful? Yes. But also context matters. How useful is rearranging the chairs on Titanic?

Well, nobody is suggesting joining the class action suit against Embarcadero for not counting correctly, is just counting, right? How could they mess this up?

2 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Well, nobody is suggesting joining the class action suit against Embarcadero for not counting correctly, is just counting, right? How could they mess this up?

They are counting correctly. When it says 2 errors, there are 2 errors. When it says 3 warnings, there are 3 warnings. 

What you have noted is that there are sometimes duplicate warnings. But they are counted correctly. 

Tell me this, how does a duplicate warning have any discernible impact to any user? Why would it be a useful way to spend development resource on such trivialities? 

• Like 1

I think we understood original post differently. He reported, questioned how errors are counted. I found similar issue in counting Warnings. Hints look to be OK. 

If reporting on these numbers is not useful, why is it there then? 

1 minute ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

I think we understood original post differently. He reported, questioned how errors are counted. I found similar issue in counting Warnings. Hints look to be OK. 

If reporting on these numbers is not useful, why is it there then? 

They are all counted correctly. Look in the screen shots. Count the items marked error, warning and hint. Compare to the totals reported. In every single case these match. 

I think in this case you need to pay a bit more attention to the detail. 

1 minute ago, David Heffernan said:

They are all counted correctly. Look in the screen shots. Count the items marked error, warning and hint. Compare to the totals reported. In every single case these match. 

I think in this case you need to pay a bit more attention to the detail. 

Ok, this makes sense now. So in terms on warnings: they count number of reported lines since 1 warning is reported on 2 lines. Perhaps a rewording of what is reported on Compile window would be useful.

4 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

So in terms on warnings: they count number of reported lines since 1 warning is reported on 2 lines.

No. It's not counting lines. It's counting warnings. The compiler emits two distinct warnings. For whatever reason they are identical. There's doubtless some internal quirk that explains it. 

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Thanks 1

Microsoft Windows did this for editions and editions, and nobody let you buy it!

image.thumb.png.522d8cc96cc405af409780122da75a96.png

Microsoft has asked this question countless times in many editions of MSWindows, and no one has really stopped using it for that!

The irrelevance of some facts is disheartening, and seeing someone attach so much importance to them makes them even more disheartening!

Mostly, starting with someone who has his own genetic imperfection in his DNA.

Errror is Error, Warning is Warning! does not matter how many!

hug

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

@emailx45 what are you talking about? Do you have to flood every thread with some irrelevant google translated sh*t? 

the sh@@ of your mother!

Edited by Guest