Sign in to follow this  
dummzeuch

Install two different licenses for Delphi 2007

Given: A computer with a working Delphi 2007 installation using a Network Named User license (with the license server in the LAN).

I have reached the user limit on that license. I just use too many computers in parallel at the moment and it's really annoying to have to close the IDE on one computer to be able to open it on another one.

We have got enough licenses, so I thought maybe it is possible to install a different Network Named User license on that computer in addition to the existing one and for the same user.

Has anybody ever tried this?

Login with another user account. It is a Named User license after all. The slip file containing the client license is the same for all users. The license server just looks for the user name logged in to the client computer.

Edit: That user has to be listed in the named licenses of the license server - of course.

Edited by Uwe Raabe

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Login with another user account.

Unfortunately that's not possible in this case. There must be only one user account on these computers and it must have one specific name.

(Yes, I known these are peculiar requirements, but these are no ordinary office computers either.)

OK, I bit the bullet and tried it: It is possible to import multiple licenses into the license manager if the .slip files have different names (If you buy two licenses separately they have different names, if you buy two licenses at once, there will only be one slip file for both. Luckily we have bought them separately).

I don't know yet whether assigning both licenses to the same user name will work as hoped though. The license server did not complain, but it is still possible that it won't work starting more IDEs than originally allowed because there is now an additional license for that user.

EDIT: Warning, don't try this (at home or at work): There is apparently no way to remove a license with the Delphi 2007 License Manager (The one from Delphi 10.2 could do that.)

Edited by dummzeuch