Sign in to follow this  
Rollo62

Modernizing the Dev-C++ IDE

Hi there,

I like the modernizing of the old Dev-C++ IDE very much 👍

Well done.

This is very important, I think, to follow with a good and stable base towards new OS and market paradigms.

It looks fresh and modern, while still keeping the good old qualities, without overdoing things.

All in all very well able to keep current users and likely to catch some new friends in the future too.

We have the saying: "The eye eats with you", and I think that is pretty much true.

• Like 1

Can you compile VCL framework on it though? I don't think so. So how would you do a GUI program? Where do you see Dev C++ fitting in with C++ builder ?

@Roger Cigol

I think Dev-C++ was originally intended as learning IDE platform, and probably only to make some small test projects.

Maybe its better to compare Dev-C++ to RadStudio like VS Code is comparing to VisualStudio.

5 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

Where do you see Dev C++ fitting in with C++ builder?

Does anybody really see Dev C++ as being very useful these days? Unless I am mistaken, there are numerous IDEs now that far exceed what Dev C++ can do.

Surely this is just a link about some work done on a legacy Delphi project. I can't believe the intent is to suggest that Dev C++ is relevant to C++ developers today.

48 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Surely this is just a link about some work done on a legacy Delphi project. I can't believe the intent is to suggest that Dev C++ is relevant to C++ developers today.

Of course its not relevant, but nice to have, and good to see what a little "modernizing" can do.

Also good to have a Delphi-based IDE, from where its maybe possible to start some support for special embedded hardware one day.

Yes, we can use VisualStudioCode for all that too, but should we ?

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

Yes, we can use VisualStudioCode for all that too, but should we ?

I don't know about you, but I use the best tool for the job, not the best tool written in Delphi!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

I don't know about you, but I use the best tool for the job, not the best tool written in Delphi!

You got my point.

It's probably more like a trip down the memory lane. I will definitely try it out, just for the sake of nostalgia. It's a bit like an old Amiga game brought back to life.

Orwell Dev-C++ gets 80k-100k downloads a week. Just sayin'.

C++Builder is a productivity upgrade over Dev-C++ since Dev-C++ has no visual designer.

• Like 1

It would be a productivity upgrade if the debugger and code completion worked properly.

Qt 5 was very good; I'm looking forward to trying Qt6.

In fact, sad to say, my C++ Builder 6 works better as far as code completion and debugger are concerned.