Sign in to follow this  
Der schöne Günther

How to determine the subjective brightness of my screen?

maybe would be better use the MSI APP Light

One App For All
Mystic Light gives you complete control of RGB lighting for both MSI and third-party compatible RGB products. Expand the stage of your games from your PC to include your whole room.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, jonnyg said:

How are you detecting the brightness of your lamps?  You must have some kind of photocell, or...? 

I don't. They are controlled by Wi-Fi/Zigbee and report a brightness value 0 - 100%. I didn't plan to measure the light emission because I don't stare at lightbulbs. Most lamps just illuminate the wall, not point at something directly.

9 hours ago, jonnyg said:

If you compare lamp brightness to screen brightness, how are you going to decide what's an appropriate match in software (this refers back to the "subjective" aspect)?

Mapping the brightness output of the lamps to what I have on screen is highly subjective. I will just go through trial and error and probably stick with what seems right to me.

The difficult part (for me) is not that, it's "how to determine the overall screen brightness in the first place?": If would say that 50% black, 50% white seems brighter than 100% medium gray. I tried to show that with some game screenshots.

Edited by Der schöne Günther

Could 3D shutter glasses be rewired for your needs.  Just wire the shutters to shutter together to reduce brightness.   

image.png

Very interesting project. But I worry that even if solved successfully from a technical perspective it may not work for the user. The problem is that the eyes get used to the dim light (retina diameter widens) and then when the screen image suddenly changes to a brighter level, yes, you may be able to bring up the room lightling in response, but your eyes do not react very quickly so you will still feel that the screen is "glaring". In fact because the room lighting has now also suddenly lept up in brightness you may find the overall experience even worse than before.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Roger Cigol said:

because the room lighting has now also suddenly lept up in brightness you may find the overall experience even worse than before

Good point. But from my experience, I think I won't really have to drive up the environmental light much.

A small increase in brightness already makes it much more pleasurable. I really don't plan changing it from

something cozy

to bright flashing white

1.thumb.jpg.d4bfc5ae0d9a9a9280dfd4d4dda52c5c.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.cf5730dd90ececd66d38526fac74355b.jpg

Edited by Der schöne Günther