PeterPanettone

TBCEditor text editor component

TBCEditor (The latest release version 1.9.0) is a very versatile text editor component with many powerful features (syntax highlighting, mini-map, etc.)

https://github.com/maciej-izak/TBCEditor-1

It even works in Delphi 10.4.1

Unfortunately, the included Simple Demo is (as the name says) a VERY SIMPLE demo that shows only a few of the many powerful features of the component. Many features are self-explaining, others are rather complex.

Does anyone have a complex demo with this component?

Edited by PeterPanettone

TBCEditor is:

• In violation the SynEdit license since portions have been copied directly from the SynEdit source but the attribution and all of the copyright and license references has been removed.
  • Buggy as hell.
  • The original repository was hijacked, after the original developer abandoned the project, but later deleted as the hijacker also abandoned it.
  • Abandonware.

Don't promote it.

• Like 1

TBCEditor was made by my coworker. 

Saying "violation the SynEdit license" might be bit overstatement, as I remembered someone found couple of trivial pieces, when Author said show me the code and I'll rewrite, nobody did nothing so... It was ground up rewrite more than less from Scratch. Spend couple of years coding it every day basically.

This weird dude who ripped TBCEditor off was extremely rude, so Author just took it off of public. Editor (or it's descendant) is in Text Editor Pro, which is very good text editor tool.

And yes, totally abandoned and left in state that would need lot of work from dedicated people to fix for sure.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Tommi Prami said:

TBCEditor was made by my coworker. 

Saying "violation the SynEdit license" might be bit overstatement, as I remembered someone found couple of trivial pieces, when Author said show me the code and I'll rewrite, nobody did nothing so... It was ground up rewrite more than less from Scratch. Spend couple of years coding it every day basically.

This weird dude who ripped TBCEditor off was extremely rude, so Author just took it off of public. Editor (or it's descendant) is in Text Editor Pro, which is very good text editor tool.

And yes, totally abandoned and left in state that would need lot of work from dedicated people to fix for sure.

I don't understand your comment: What has TBCEditor to do with SynEdit?

2 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

I've never been in contact with Lasse (the original author) but as far as I remember the pieces of SynEdit that I found were significant enough that I could recognize them as coming from SynEdit. As far as I remember it was some of the syntax definitions. I don't know what interaction other people have had with him so I can't speak to that. The code copied might have been trivial and it might not have been that much but I still don't think it's acceptable to remove the license/attribution header and keep the code.

Anyway, it's nothing compared to what Niels Hoyer did after he forked the code so regardless of SynEdit/TBCEditor the current TBCEditor forks are definitely in violation of Lasse's copyright.

It's a damned pity as the code looked really promising but I can sympathize with Lasse burning out over the amount of pure crazy directed at him.

• Thanks 1

When using TBCEditor in my program, how can I keep up with all copyright requirements? Should I put a Copyright remark on my About page naming all involved authors?

On 2/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, PeterPanettone said:

I don't understand your comment: What has TBCEditor to do with SynEdit?

Some claim it is rebranded SynEdit, which it is not. Author said right away that Show me where there is SynEdit code, and I'll change it. No one presented anything (Meaningful at least)

TBCEditor works fundamentally differently (Or made differently) than SynEdit.

Great news! It seems that TBCEditor is coming back as open open source again as github.com/TextEditorPro/TTextEditor

But looking at the texteditor.pro site, but quite sure the github repo is by Lasse the same author of the old TBCEditor.

Not sure what improvements has been brought by the new version and but it seems doesn't support CJK characters, pity...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 7:07 AM, Edwin Yip said:

Great news! It seems that TBCEditor is coming back as open open source again as github.com/TextEditorPro/TTextEditor

But looking at the texteditor.pro site, but quite sure the github repo is by Lasse the same author of the old TBCEditor.

Not sure what improvements has been brought by the new version and but it seems doesn't support CJK characters, pity...

Same person.