Mike Torrettinni

Is Delphi still taught in schools?

I noticed @DesadaptadoDimensional said he is learning Delphi, I guess in school.

Do we still have schools that teach Delphi, what countries?

I remember schools in Turkey are supposed to start offering Delphi classes, but I don't know the status of this:

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

6 minutes ago, balabuev said:

I guess the right answer is - No.

What do you mean? He is learning it in school... so are you talking about your country? As far as I know its not taught in US schools.

14 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

What do you mean?

That's just my guess. However, I remember Turbo Pascal (blue) was a mainstream in schools approx at 1993-1995. And Delphi after that.

Edited by balabuev

1 hour ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

I noticed @DesadaptadoDimensional said he is learning Delphi, I guess in school.

In Croatia (and Yugoslavia before separation) Pascal was taught in schools and universities. 

There are still schools that have Pascal in their curriculum, but C and other languages are taking over.

Whether or not Delphi was and is used somewhere, I don't know.  I only have information that FPC is used in some schools.

CE licenses makes Delphi more approachable, so it is possible that this will change for the better.

It is clear from the article that this is the teacher's decision. The reason is simple. Pascal was created for this purpose.
That's why I can read it too. But C syntax does not!

Oh, yes Pascal, of course.

2 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Whether or not Delphi was and is used somewhere, I don't know.  I only have information that FPC is used in some schools.

Didn't know FPC is used anywhere except by small group of enthusiasts. Good!

Edited by Mike Torrettinni
Spelling

1 hour ago, Stano said:

That's why I can read it too. But C syntax does not!

In school I learned Pascal and C. I guess Pascal was easier since I picked it Delphi later on.

I guess the question would be more appropriate about Pascal and it's versions. But it seems is not completely out of the schools, around the world, just very rare.

Let's look at it through the eyes of a teacher:
Will I learn Pascal or C syntax? Definitely Pascal. It's designed for that. Among other things.
What do I have available? Since it's a school, it's free!

• LAZARUS - is handy and does not cause problems :classic_cheerleader:
  • Delphi - is a huge hebedo. I have to reinstall it every year :classic_ohmy:

That is all.

2 hours ago, Stano said:
  • LAZARUS - is handy and does not cause problems :classic_cheerleader:
  • Delphi - is a huge hebedo. I have to reinstall it every year 

Yes, I guess you are correct. Delphi CE doesn't seem to targeted to students, anyway.

Not me personally. I do not use it. This is stated in the license.
There are enough topics in which they have solved this problem. In relation to D10.3

I remember that in my school time, it was definitely Delphi, but for my brother (a few years later) they had already switched to Java.

I think Embarcadero has a education program which basically licenses Enterprise editions, but I am not sure how complicated it is to setup. It's most probably easier for schools (especially smaller ones) to just go with Java or Python. C or C++ is, in my view, definitely a very bad choice for absolute beginners 😱

Edited by Der schöne Günther

47 minutes ago, Stano said:

Not me personally. I do not use it. This is stated in the license.
There are enough topics in which they have solved this problem. In relation to D10.3

Ah, you're talking about CE, that's right

Here, in Brazil, does not different from other countries!

-- mainly "C" (and your taste) 

-- Delphi is not wellcome at general! -- this is for Technical Curriculum ( particular formation )

in China, I have some contacts and...

C (not C++) is a mandatory course in almost all universities in China, for students whose major is of science or engineering.

As for the second question, the answer would be quite funny. The university with most students enrolled per year is definitely Shanghai University. I don’t precisely know the annual number of students for nowadays, but what I can tell you is the stunning fact that twenty years ago the total number of its students surpassed 50K. I’m quite sure the number increased a lot in the past two decades. Now is the fun fact - in the “best universities” list in China, it only ranks around 80 or so.

As for the 5 most famous, or say “best” universities:
Tsinghua U. (Beijing)
Peking U. (Beijing)
Jiaotong U. (Shanghai)
Fudan U. (Shanghai)
Tongji U. (Shanghai)

But don’t get me wrong, the complete list is nearly impossible - there are already 63 universities and colleges just in Shanghai city. So, now you get a daunting research job. :-)

another Chinese friend:

Well, C, assembly, C and JS are four languages that must be learned JAVA C# Go Delphi is one of the four languages, usually JAVA, if you have more energy, you will all learn PYTHON, PHP, PERL, ASP Choose one of these four languages. If you have enough energy, you will learn all other languages. It depends on your own hobbies. DARK, LUA, RUST, KOTLIN, SWIFT, etc. are all popular elective languages. Generally speaking, if you If you want to make more programmer friends, I suggest you learn all of them. It is easier to have common topics.

Edited by Guest