FPiette

Feature request for Source Indexer

Hello,

I'm an absolute fan of MMX :: Source Indexer. It is incredibly fast (Well, when scanning is done) and helpful.

I'll be more than happy to have MMX :: Source Indexer window remember his position and size each time it is reopened. it is a real pain to have it always opened in the top left corner of the screen with his default position and size.

Another important feature I'd like to have: In the search indexer, we have "exclude paths". That's nice but I would like to have "exclude files and paths" and be able to enter a list of wild card file/folder names. For example "*old.*" to suppress scanning of anything ending with "old" in the filename such as "blablaold.pas". Or "*old" to suppress any directory ending by "old" and any file ending by "old" such as "blabla.pas.old" but not "balablaold.pas".

Another small feature: when you have auto-scan turned on, the first time you click on the search identifier tool button, the scanning begins. Then when it is done, the identifier you had selected is not searched. You have to click once more. Less important than windows position and size, but interesting for a lazy guy like me.

Regards.

François Piette

Embarcadero MVP

1 hour ago, FPiette said:

I'll be more than happy to have MMX :: Source Indexer window remember his position and size each time it is reopened. it is a real pain to have it always opened in the top left corner of the screen with his default position and size.

Are you aware that the Source Indexer window is part of the desktop and thus stored with it? You can move it wherever you want or dock it to a suitable place, save the desktop and it is restored whenever the desktop is loaded again. The position is also stored in the desktop when the Source Indexer is not visible anymore while saving. I know this is not the same as storing the last position, but unfortunately both storage mechanisms don't play together nicely.

The other suggestions are in the issue tracker now.

41 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Are you aware that the Source Indexer window is part of the desktop and thus stored with it?

I was not aware of that. Indeed it works as expected. Thank for the tip!

How to make the window not dockable?

42 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

The other suggestions are in the issue tracker now.

Thanks.

François Piette

Embarcadero MVP

1 hour ago, FPiette said:

How to make the window not dockable?

As long as the form is derived from TDockForm there is no way to make it not dockable (after all that is the main purpose of a TDockForm descendant). On the other hand you are not forced to dock it in the first place. The desktop functionality isn't affected from the docking state. To store the last position of the floating window in the desktop it is sufficient to make it visible once any time before saving. It is not necessary to dock the form for that.

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

As long as the form is derived from TDockForm there is no way to make it not dockable.

There is probably a way to do that since other IDE windows have a popup menu with a dockable item you can check/uncheck.

When an IDE form is dockable, it can be tricky to move it exactly where you want to put it.

François Piette

Embarcadero MVP

12 minutes ago, FPiette said:

There is probably a way to do that since other IDE windows have a popup menu with a dockable item you can check/uncheck.

When an IDE form is dockable, it can be tricky to move it exactly where you want to put it.

You can simply hold down the Ctrl key and move a dockable window like any other window.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

You can simply hold down the Ctrl key and move a dockable window like any other window.

I'm using Delphi since version 1, every single day of the year. And there are still tricks that I don't know!

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FPiette said:

I'm using Delphi since version 1, every single day of the year. And there are still tricks that I don't know!

There is a setting which controls the docking behaviour in Options - Environment Options menu, named "Docking" 🙂  I usually switch off Auto Drag Docking - in this configuration one has to explicitly hold Control key down while dragging a window to make it dockable, otherwise the window is just moved around remaining floating.

• Thanks 2