Roger Cigol

Embarcadero C++ Programmer for Engineering UK

Anyone out there who is an Embarcadero C++ Programmer based in the UK (ideally SW England)  with interest in engineering applications ?

We could do with working with one (full time?)

"Engineering" means "not video games" and "not accounting packages".......(not that writing good software for these is without it's own challenges - just that our s/w has different challenges!)

Any one working on their own or part of a small s/w development team independant partnership? This could work just as well as us actually employing someone....

Maybe a promising computer engineering graduate or post graduate. Must enjoy working with a diverse range of people and be a good listener (and understander!).

I would possibly have been interested, but its the wrong programming language (I don't do any C++) and wrong country for me (BREXIT is a gift that keeps giving ...)

Why do you want Embarcadero C++? What in particular are you looking for that is specific to Embarcadero tools rather than standard C++? 

Main projects use VCL. Minor projects use FireMonkey. Some projects use FireDAC. Some (albeit not complex) internal VCL components, all of which are in C++

But thinking about this further, if someone came along with good C++ skills and good person to person skills it would be easy for us to teach her/him how to work with VCL / FMX / FireDAC and the Embarcadero IDE....

IMHO, "learning" a language and "learning" and environment, the latter is much much much more. When i first was confronted with the Java "environment" my takeout was "it takes longer to look up the correct java function than writing the function in Delphi (or Java, for that matter)".

I'm not sure that I agree with this. The VCL IDE is not too tricky to get the hang of. I've spent my whole working life learning to program and am still finding there's lots more to learn. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "learning the language". It doesn't take long to learn to order two beers in a foreign language but that doesn't mean you can speak it.....

Either way there's always more to learn - I'm just looking for someone who is interested in learning and good at learning.... Then I can help them on their way with interesting challenging but rewarding (both job satisfaction and financially) work....

Any computer science / electronic engineering students out there wondering what to do after garduating next summer?

Hi Tim, Just spotted you message - thanks for your interest. Definitely looking for a C++ developer....

C++ programmers are always in demand - that's why there is no one replying to this post !

There was a time where I did C++ almost exclusively for about 10 years, then Delphi came along and I transitioned over to it instead. I played with CPPBuilder a few times and found it far more verbose than Object Pascal, although I think, generally speaking, OP is more verbose than C++. It was the way the VCL was set up and accessed through C++; it just struck me as extremely convoluted.

I've hardly looked at C++ in 15 years, and recently looked over the latest C++ standard ... boy oh boy ... they have added so much "bling" to the language that it's nearly impossible to read the code! It looks twice as verbose now as before! There was a lot of stuff that you had to learn that was idiomatic; today, so much of that has been made explicit through "attributes" and callouts of library options and so much gnarly stuff. I wonder if code from 1995 will even compile and run today? I know Delphi1 code probably will.

Anyway, I'm thinking you might be a lot better off translating those C++ units into Object Pascal, mainly because you wouldn't be stuck trying to find someone to bridge these two langauges even though they're still more-or-less integrated into the same IDE. I'm not aware of anything that can be done in C++ that can't be done in OP. 

It is true that C++ has evolved greatly. Actually in almost all cases it is backward compatible (and the few cases it isn't are often particularly flakey coding edge cases). There are some serious brains greatly improving the concepts behind writing sound code working on C++. It's fascinating (but time consuming) learning (and understanding) about the thinking behind some of the additions.

The thinking behind sticking to C++ is 

a) access to a lot of third party libraries.

b) not tied to one particular vendor's compiler (there are three compilers still very active out there: MSC++, GCC and Clang).

c) There are many more C++ programmers out there than delphi.

Of course b) is a great self deception: the extensive use of the (still beautiful after all these years) VCL framework does tie me to Embarcadero - although much of my more recent (in the last 10 yrs) code has good separation between

the GUI and the "nitty gritty business" code the GUI is still an area that takes a lot of time to get right (ie how the customer likes it) so it would be very painful to swap to one of the competitors <but not impossible>.

Of course c) is a great self deception as all the good C++ programmers have good jobs !

and actually a) is true but as yet I don't use a great many 3rd party libraries.

...... so perhaps you are right !

Hi Gunther, The only interest I have had on here is fully visible on here ! I have an issue in that I have no time and no inclination to sift through large numbers of hopeful "straight from college" type of applicants that I would expect to get were I to post somewhere more obvious (and all of the candidates would be decent folk who deserve decent consideration and courtesy and respect). So I figure by posting here at least anyone who expresses an interest will know the Embarcadero IDE and will at least be a "distinctly possible" - ie using this site acts as a first level filter. But it does seem that very few C++ folk are using Embarcadero.