Darian Miller

10.4.2 Released today - available to download

I made the mistake of updating as soon as it was released. After installing (all default option) I found it had scrubbed my Win64 component path. The Win32 path is in tact but it'll be a right old pain to manually copy between the two. Also had to re-install OnGuard and Konopka components via GetIt (a modest pain).

Be warned,

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Maughan said:

I made the mistake of updating as soon as it was released. After installing (all default option) I found it had scrubbed my Win64 component path. The Win32 path is in tact but it'll be a right old pain to manually copy between the two. Also had to re-install OnGuard and Konopka components via GetIt (a modest pain).

Be warned,

Steve

Yeah,  all my win64 component paths were wiped out.  Luckily, I had backup the registry before upgrade, so re-import the registry solves.

Edited by c0d3r
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. I have updated two separate installations from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 and the Win64-paths are still present.

Also note - it was stated in the 10.4.2 release webinar that the online help wasn't completely updated for 10.4.2.  The online wiki was updated, but the help is not completely up to date with 10.4.2.

One nice improvement with help is that you click on a compiler error and hit F1 to bring up the help for that error.  (Used to work back that way in Delphi 7)

4 hours ago, Steve Maughan said:

I was bitten by this a few times in previous upgrades.  This time I knew better...

Edited by pyscripter

9 hours ago, pyscripter said:

I think a (the) highlight of this release is fixing [RSP-27375] Compiler generates disadvantageous code for try/finally - Embarcadero Technologies.   Thanks to @Mahdi Safsafifor coming up with a great suggestion and @Stefan Glienkefor creating the issue and pushing hard for its resolution.

I am also glad we could find a solution - fyi the actual fix was done a bit different as suggested in the comments of that issue. Also thanks to @jbg who gave some input on the subject and @Bruneau who we worked with to get this solved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

This is a little odd in the installation notes:

You must install the Adobe Flash Player ......

because: Adobe Flash Player End of Life

Since Adobe no longer supports Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and blocked Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems.  

1 hour ago, mvanrijnen said:

This is a little odd in the installation notes:

You must install the Adobe Flash Player ......

because: Adobe Flash Player End of Life

Since Adobe no longer supports Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and blocked Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems.  

Flash is not absolute requirement, but it is necessary for viewing interactive content when you generate modeling documentation.

Still, it is obsolete technology and should be removed.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-32771

On 2/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, Darian Miller said:

Download available from my.embarcadero.com

Where can I download it?  I'm a user of 10.4.1 and I had problems downloading the free trial.

Note:  If you install 10.4.2 with the offline ISO you still have to put GetIt into online mode which can be done from the command prompt after installing:

GetItCmd.exe -c=useonline

Edited by Darian Miller

Thanks, I got it.

I read that 10.4.2 retains your old settings.  I also read that it requires a complete uninstall, and it defaults to saving your settings.  So I did an uninstall first, but it didn't retain my settings.

46 minutes ago, Jud said:

Thanks, I got it.

I read that 10.4.2 retains your old settings.  I also read that it requires a complete uninstall, and it defaults to saving your settings.  So I did an uninstall first, but it didn't retain my settings.

You should not do a seperate manual uninstall.  If you manually uninstall, then you should manually save your settings first.  If you use the installer to install 10.4.2 and let it uninstall the prior version then you will be prompted to save your settings.