Coniah

Delphi 10.4.2 first impressions

I usually upgrade a few months after the initial release of an update since I use Delphi in a production environment. The current release came at a lull in my production cycle and since the 10.3.3 to 10.4.1 upgrade went smoothly, I decided to give 10.4.2 a spin.  A minor (dot dot upgrade) should be pretty minor and the upgrades from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 and 10.3.3 were all pretty seamless. First impression is that this is not a simple upgrade. After the upgrade the IDE would not load, throwing numerous errors about missing files. None of the 3rd party components loaded. Time to start over. I'm uninstalling and re-installing to see if it goes better. How was your upgrade experience? 

Knowing which method you installed before (off-line ISO install versus Web install) I think is key. That makes it transition better, but you may need to confirm your library paths as well. I've got it working now, but it took longer than usual dot dot upgrades.

Edited by Coniah
Update

Worked flawlessly over here.

AFAIK GetIt packages are not re-installed, but I don't use those anyway. I always install packages directly and these are all present after the update.

12 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Worked flawlessly over here.

AFAIK GetIt packages are not re-installed, but I don't use those anyway. I always install packages directly and these are all present after the update.

Thanks Uwe. I made the mistake of using the Migration Tool. A fresh uninstall and reinstall worked to restore a working instance of RAD Studio. I'll have to reinstall and configure the 3rd party components. I was hoping this process would get easier, and I thought the dot dot upgrades didn't require reinstalling, but I was wrong.

• Like 3

Not sure yet..

Tried using the GOF file with the installer from a mapped drive and got a tsclient error.
So that doesn't work, was never tested or maybe its because I still use Windows 7..

Edited by FredS

Migration Tool works great for me. It looks like they have added more capabilities in the tool, but I just take all the settings. 
I do use TMS and I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest versions so not sure if I actually needed to reinstall them.

Looks like a fantastic release and I am looking forward to seeing the quality improvements in action. 

17 hours ago, Martin Sedgewick said:

Migration Tool works great for me. It looks like they have added more capabilities in the tool, but I just take all the settings. 
I do use TMS and I took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest versions so not sure if I actually needed to reinstall them.

Looks like a fantastic release and I am looking forward to seeing the quality improvements in action. 

Glad things are working well. I'll keep trying. I'm looking forward to using the latest version. It was a good move to update your TMS components. After reinstalling, it's the TMS components that are generating errors when I try to recompile.

Edited by Coniah
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FredS said:

Not sure yet..

Tried using the GOF file with the installer from a mapped drive and got a tsclient error.
So that doesn't work, was never tested or maybe its because I still use Windows 7..

In Windows 7, TLS 1.2 must be enabled (do not know how, but there was a note about it for Windows 7).

I had VC with OmniPascal active and that was not nice to the VC plugin 🙂 killing it made the emba installer continue.

Really nice with the new progress indicator for CodeInsight.

Had to recompile some 3rd party libs. No biggie.

"Stack Overflow" when opening some forms for the first time, still there 😞

Help/CodeInsight, Ctrl+Click works better but not for any DevExpress classes.

Looks ok so far....

I'm impressed!

• I used the migration tool to update from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. Downloaded the WebInstall. Everything went well. The IDE opened and as expected only Getit Packages were out.
  • Getit package got better! I manage to install my packages without any glitches. ( VCL Styles, ICS, SynEdit and JCL is also there ). I don't understand why some VCL Styles were only available to some IDEs (older). Shouldn't they be available to all? I understand VCL Styles should be part of delphi from the version it is released upwards.
  • When opening a large project a status screen the unit being loaded! It also shows when you open a unit/frame/form. Cool!
  • There's a nice progress bar on the project manager window footer. It shows code insight working! Cool!
  • The compiler screen has more info too!
  • I haven't tested debugging yet, but I have high hope with viewing generics and of course a more stable debugging experience (Win32/Win64)
  • I haven't noticed any faster compilation. My projects are not suitable for such tests. All of them compiles in a few seconds.
  • I still prefer the Dark theme.
  • I haven't noticed any flicking in the IDE and there's clearing a lot more going on. There's absolutely no doubt the IDE improved a LOT.
  • In 10.4.1 when typing [CTRL+SPACE] to call the form methods nothing was shown. You had to type method declarations / parameters.. Very annoying. They fixed it in 10.4.2! Cool!
  • We can click "Inherited" Cool!

Can wait to start debugging my projects!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Clément said:

I'm impressed!

• I used the migration tool to update from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2. Downloaded the WebInstall. Everything went well. The IDE opened and as expected only Getit Packages were out.
  • Getit package got better! I manage to install my packages without any glitches. ( VCL Styles, ICS, SynEdit and JCL is also there ). I don't understand why some VCL Styles were only available to some IDEs (older). Shouldn't they be available to all? I understand VCL Styles should be part of delphi from the version it is released upwards.
  • When opening a large project a status screen the unit being loaded! It also shows when you open a unit/frame/form. Cool!
  • There's a nice progress bar on the project manager window footer. It shows code insight working! Cool!
  • The compiler screen has more info too!
  • I haven't tested debugging yet, but I have high hope with viewing generics and of course a more stable debugging experience (Win32/Win64)
  • I haven't noticed any faster compilation. My projects are not suitable for such tests. All of them compiles in a few seconds.
  • I still prefer the Dark theme.
  • I haven't noticed any flicking in the IDE and there's clearing a lot more going on. There's absolutely no doubt the IDE improved a LOT.
  • In 10.4.1 when typing [CTRL+SPACE] to call the form methods nothing was shown. You had to type method declarations / parameters.. Very annoying. They fixed it in 10.4.2! Cool!
  • We can click "Inherited" Cool!

Can wait to start debugging my projects!

Very good to hear this! I was planning to wait for 10.5, but I might reconsider and try 10.4.2!

Can anyone who has 10.4.2 confirm (or just explain if I misundrestood) but TEdgeBrowser now works without the +200 MB download requirements if Windows has the Chromium-based Edge installed?

New TEdgeBrowser Extensions

The TEdgeBrowser VCL component introduced in 10.4 (a wrapper around the Windows 10 Chromium-based Edge WebView2 control) has been updated with support for the GA version of Microsoft's WebView2 control and its SDK. Besides better compatibility, the component now offers enhanced support for files cache management and the use of custom WebView2 versions.

As I posted elsewhere, the new install scrubbed my Win64 library path. That was the only problem I encountered. Overall it seems like an excellent, quality orientated upgrade. I ran my mapping application through some speed tests and it definitely seems to be running faster when compiled with the latest version — about +4% faster.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Quick Questions: 

1. Why do we need the Migration Tool? This is a minor upgrade. If I don' use it, will the settings be lost?

2. Yesterday in the webinar, it was mentioned that the binaries should be compatible with 10.4.2. However, the binaries from 10.4.0 are not compatible with 10.4.1.   

10 hours ago, Vandrovnik said:

In Windows 7, TLS 1.2 must be enabled

Yes, that was done a couple of months ago when I had GetIt issues..

But that was an RDP mapped drive not a standard one which with a 6 Gig file could be the issue.

So far all testing looks pretty good, an exception of API not found during startup (Windows 7) but compile speed is down to Rio speed again and CodeInsight seems to be working... including.. gulp.. ErrorInsight 🙂

5 hours ago, Clément said:

I used the migration tool to update from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2.

Was that the Migration tool from 10.4.1??

I am worried about missing VCL styles as I use the "Windows 10 Slate Gray" and designed icons to contrast nicely with the colors (not a graphics guy and I spent more time at this than I needed).  Can anyone confirm it is in the latest install.

1 hour ago, John Kouraklis said:

it was mentioned that the binaries should be compatible with 10.4.2

10.4.1 DCUs are compatible with 10.4.2, else I couldn't have built my projects..

Does the IDE editor Error Insight (red squiggles) work properly now with inline variable declarations? In 10.3.something, not only did it not work, but it seemed to block Error Insight from analyzing the rest of the file.

2 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

2. Yesterday in the webinar, it was mentioned that the binaries should be compatible with 10.4.2. However, the binaries from 10.4.0 are not compatible with 10.4.1.   

With the occasional exception, binaries should be compatible across the major version releases.  (10.4 and 10.4.1 and 10.4.2)  https://www.ideasawakened.com/post/about-binary-compatibility-on-new-versions-of-delphi

Just now, John Kouraklis said:

How about 10.4.0? 

10.4.1 wasn't compatible so neither will 10.4.2

3 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

Why do we need the Migration Tool? This is a minor upgrade. If I don' use it, will the settings be lost?

No! If you start the setup you are asked to remove the registry settings and the default is no. Unless you change that all settings are kept.