Coniah

Delphi 10.4.2 first impressions

4 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

Quick Questions: 

1. Why do we need the Migration Tool? This is a minor upgrade. If I don' use it, will the settings be lost?

I did not use the Migration Tool for either 10.4.x upgrade and everything worked as expected, except this one deleted but did not re-install the GetIt libs. (My TMS libs remained intact.)

1 minute ago, David Schwartz said:

I did not use the Migration Tool for either 10.4.x upgrade and everything worked as expected, except this one deleted but did not re-install the GetIt libs. (My TMS libs remained intact.)

Hi David,

Does your app target Win64 or just Win32? My Win32 component path was fine, it was my Win64 component path that was scrubbed.

Steve

Win32 I believe. It's not like it lost just one type -- it deleted all GetIt libs and I guess it just forgot to reinstall them. (bug?) 

• Like 1

Can anyone perform this basic action to reproduce this buggy screen?

• Install offline on MSWindows 10 64bits (20H2) clean install!!!
  • View -> Toolbars -> Components  (or just right-click on bar-buttons of IDE) --> (error 1)
  • try to move the bar by dragging it with the mouse (error 2 ... and so)

image.thumb.png.0186c9be241d92a1cc03ba06a897e769.png

hug

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, emailx45 said:

Can anyone perform this basic action to reproduce this buggy screen?

• Install offline on MSWindows 10 64bits (20H2) clean install!!!
  • View -> Toolbars -> Components  (or just right-click on bar-buttons of IDE) --> (error 1)
  • try to move the bar by dragging it with the mouse (error 2 ... and so)

image.thumb.png.0186c9be241d92a1cc03ba06a897e769.png

hug

I installed offline to a clean install of Windows 10/20H2 and I cannot reproduce.  (Target system is running on VMWare Workstation though.)

9 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

Target system is running on VMWare Workstation though.

hi @Darian Miller

thanks for your attention. Im a VM VirtualBox v6.18 updated, for test before install on HDD directly!

maybe some problem with Video Card acces or its drivers/GDI etc... ?

NOTE: Strange, but it may be acceptable since IF the VirtualBox (new) SuperVGA driver does not have direct access to VGA Card, on GDI use the RAD10.4.x needs this access, an error could be caused. Taking into account the massive use of theme in RAD!

Not reproduced on RAD10.3.3 Arch in same conditions!

hug

9 hours ago, Trevor S said:

The 64bit  path

As I read that its for Linux and Browsing path only:

To fix this, go to Tools > Options > Delphi > Library , select 64-bit Linux, and paste the following string into the Browsing path field:

Edited by FredS

9 hours ago, Trevor S said:

The 64bit  path issue is listed in the "Known Issues" section of  the installation notes.  

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Installation_Notes#Known_Installation_Issues

Sorry, too late for you now...

It said the problem would occurs when using offline installer,  but I was using web installer,  still my 64bit LIBRARY (Windows) paths were wiped out.

Edited by c0d3r

2 hours ago, emailx45 said:

maybe some problem with Video Card acces or its drivers/GDI etc... ?

Yes, I'd assume it's incompatibility on the virtual graphics hardware.  Maybe check for updates on VirtualBox, or tweak the settings to a more generic display (if possible, it has been a while since I used Virtual Box)  

Been hacking away for two days with the most IDE intensive project i have (DX Skins, multiple visual inheritance levels).

I am warming up to this! I am impressed too. A lot is fixed a lot feel much better! It feels almost ok 🙂

9 minutes ago, Dany Marmur said:

A lot is fixed a lot feel much better! It feels almost ok

THEY try and lull you into a sense of security, then when you deploy.. 🙂

6 minutes ago, FredS said:

then when you deploy.. 🙂

If my deployments had the same level of QC i'd be bankrupt in less than three weeks.

2 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

Maybe check for updates on VirtualBox

im using last VBox with ExtendPack for MSWin.

in all case, last try once more

hug

14 minutes ago, emailx45 said:

im using last VBox with ExtendPack for MSWin.

in all case, last try once more

hug

I'd give the graphics card more virtual memory, disable acceleration, and maybe a different controller choice.   I hope something works!

10 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

I hope something works

ill try tonight.

thanks

hug

My initial impressions - total crap.

I got email notifications about fixed and closed issues, one of them was that debugger does not show the contents of the TList<> anymore.

It still doesn't and the workaround to use .list in the debugger window does not work anymore.

Also, if I have defined custom TDictionary types, e.g. 

type
  TDummyDict = TDictionary<String, TDummy>;

and have them in a separate unit, then ctrl+clicking on the TDummyDict leads to System.Generic.Collections and not to the unit where it's defined.

This makes it totally unusable for me. I'm glad I didn't delete the 10.4.1 iso.

Both issues reported.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Erix A. said:

Also, if I have defined custom TDictionary types, e.g. 

type
  TDummyDict = TDictionary<String, TDummy>; 

You can use:

TDummyDict = class(TDictionary<String, TDummy>);

Then Ctrl+click works as expected.

Content of tList<> - I have tried and it seems it works, or is it something else?

tlist.thumb.png.cc270f8a79b386a49ad1584ca968f430.png

• Thanks 1

@emailx45 Yes, I can reproduce in VirtualBox 6.1 with Windows 10 and Delphi 10.4.2 installed. 

Error: Invalid Class Typecast. Details:

[21386672]{vclide270.bpl} GDIPlus.GradientTabs.TGradientButton.FormDPI (Line 358, "GDIPlus.GradientTabs.pas" + 1) + $F
[5005A496]{rtl270.bpl  } System.ErrorAt (Line 5781, "System.pas" + 3) + $4
[5005FFD3]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@AsClass (Line 18460, "System.pas" + 3) + $5
[21386672]{vclide270.bpl} GDIPlus.GradientTabs.TGradientButton.FormDPI (Line 358, "GDIPlus.GradientTabs.pas" + 1) + $F
[21386BC6]{vclide270.bpl} GDIPlus.GradientTabs.TScrollerButton.PaintLeftArrow (Line 520, "GDIPlus.GradientTabs.pas" + 3) + $2
[21386B85]{vclide270.bpl} GDIPlus.GradientTabs.TScrollerButton.Paint (Line 508, "GDIPlus.GradientTabs.pas" + 3) + $2
[50D01E19]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TGraphicControl.WMPaint (Line 14009, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 7) + $5
[50CF7172]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.WndProc (Line 7480, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 91) + $6
[50CF6DAC]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.Perform (Line 7258, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 10) + $8
[50CFC56E]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TWinControl.PaintControls (Line 10582, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 27) + $D
[50CFC36B]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TWinControl.PaintHandler (Line 10528, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 24) + $8
[50CFCBF4]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TWinControl.WMPaint (Line 10711, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 6) + $5
[50D02BC1]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TCustomControl.WMPaint (Line 14385, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 2) + $4
[50CF7172]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.WndProc (Line 7480, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 91) + $6
[50CF8C36]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.GetStyleName (Line 8510, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 1) + $8
[50CF8C56]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.GetStyleName (Line 8512, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 3) + $7
[5005A240]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@GetMem (Line 4843, "System.pas" + 20) + $0
[50061E56]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@NewUnicodeString (Line 25659, "System.pas" + 10) + $0
[500622F1]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@UStrAsg (Line 26649, "System.pas" + 19) + $0
[5005A25C]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@FreeMem (Line 4891, "System.pas" + 20) + $0
[50061F75]{rtl270.bpl  } System.@UStrArrayClr (Line 26028, "System.pas" + 16) + $0
[50CF8D13]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TControl.IsCustomStyleActive (Line 8526, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 😎 + $15
[50CFC0C7]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TWinControl.WndProc (Line 10424, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 169) + $6
[50CFB614]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Controls.TWinControl.MainWndProc (Line 10113, "Vcl.Controls.pas" + 3) + $6
[501826A4]{rtl270.bpl  } System.Classes.StdWndProc (Line 18175, "System.Classes.pas" + 😎 + $0
[50E5C233]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Forms.TApplication.ProcessMessage (Line 11028, "Vcl.Forms.pas" + 23) + $1
[50E5C276]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Forms.TApplication.HandleMessage (Line 11058, "Vcl.Forms.pas" + 1) + $4
[50E5C5AD]{vcl270.bpl  } Vcl.Forms.TApplication.Run (Line 11196, "Vcl.Forms.pas" + 26) + $3
[00524DB8]{bds.exe     } bds.bds (Line 222, "" + 13) + $2

Though I never used this view in modern IDEs. Palette Tool window is more convenient on modern wide displays.

20 minutes ago, Kryvich said:

Though I never used this view in modern IDEs. Palette Tool window is more convenient on modern wide displays.

hi @Kryvich

[21386672]{vclide270.bpl} GDIPlus.GradientTabs.TGradientButton.FormDPI (Line 358, "GDIPlus.GradientTabs.pas" + 1) + $F ... This my report too!

for sure! I never use this "layout" too... but we need test some not trivial!

but, same that not usual... it's bug or "my bug"? that the question!

ok, ok! many others will say:  hey boy, are you in '90? -- no! but, at 2021, this basic error cannot aceptable or is it?

any way, dont worry! There is more import thing for lost time on Embarcadero... will be?

maybe "GetIT" ... at least!!!

thanks for your time!

hug

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, Trevor S said:

The 64bit  path issue is listed in the "Known Issues" section of  the installation notes.  

http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/Installation_Notes#Known_Installation_Issues

Sorry, too late for you now...

To late for me also, web installer, killed off the Linux and Windows 64bit paths...have a backup to copy from.

1) I see Code Insight no more completes identifier when I type "." (dot) or any other symbol like semicolon or open round bracket in the following editor state:

image.png.d32dcf18887209d2b554cc6f55ba13ef.png

This seems to me as a big regression.

2) Overall, this new nonblocking code insight idea is really a pain in pactise, because I have to wait each time until drop-down window is appeared (which happens with a delay) before continue typing. In the above situation in XE2, for example, I can very quickly press Ctrl+Space and then ".", and be sure that "Canvas." will be typed.  But, with async drop-down window the result depends of typing speed.

Edited by balabuev
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

There was a setting for the delay AFAIR, isn't it?

That's different delay, I do not use it.

This annoying effect results when scrolling through the editor. I have tried to change various options but it remains

Immagine.png