Coniah

Delphi 10.4.2 first impressions

If you want to discuss VirtualBox in detail, please use a separate topic for that. This part of the discussion seems no longer be related to Delphi 10.4.2.

3 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

I find no mention at all on that page of DirectX11 or any version of DirectX. Nor in the manual for VBox.

there is not any relationship between, at least, not until this VM edition!

CLOSED! :classic_cheerleader:

hug

Edited by Guest

Does anyone know how to disable ErrorInsight in 10.4.2

With a large project i see the loading fiirst for CodeInsight and then for ErrorInsight.

Since i don not use ErrorInsigt, it's a little bit shame, for the memory used. There is also 2x LSP process for each IDE instead of 1.

13 minutes ago, balabuev said:

image.thumb.png.809b6a009e8cec3af143a7f234187943.png

Then it still does the loading for ErrorInsight when you open the project. 

The Editor now shows the Error Insight information for the current unit in the Status Bar:

image.png.b97b740d7a28c08fdbabec87a7fe1aa6.png

This is very nice and useful! Thank you, Embarcadero!

Suggestion: Optionally, why not have the Error Insight information shown for the WHOLE PROJECT in the Status Bar? If I want to see the Error Insight information only for the current unit, I can always look at the Structure Panel!

What do you think about this idea?

Edited by PeterPanettone

1 hour ago, mvanrijnen said:

Since i don not use Errorsigt

Since Error Insight now finally works flawlessly, what's the reason for turning off Error Insight? The Mercedes dashboard also warns you if the oil level or the air pressure in the ties goes too low or if you are running out of gas.

Edited by PeterPanettone

5 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Since Error Insight now finally works flawlessly, what's the reason for turning off Error Insight? The Mercedes dashboard also warns you if the oil level or the air pressure in the ties goes too low or if you are running out of gas.

Because my IDE does not use OIL, and i want to keep the things it's doing to an absolute minimum.

What it does not do, it can not do wrong 🙂

Edited by mvanrijnen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mvanrijnen said:

i want to keep the things it's doing to an absolute minimum.

But Error Insight is a PRODUCTIVITY FEATURE!

Btw, the question: given the red error insight line in code editor, how can I show error message using keyboard only?

Edited by balabuev

7 minutes ago, balabuev said:

how can I show error message using keyboard only?

enable the "Keyboard Assistence" - Accessibility, for use it as your mouse! 😎 ... 

hug

6 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Since Error Insight now finally works flawlessly, what's the reason for turning off Error Insight? 

Flawlessly is questionable.  There has been at least one report of Error Insight killing the IDE for a large project and no apparent ability to completely disable it.

Can anyone try to reproduce this situation: RAD Studio 10.3.3 and 10.4.2

Test on a VCL project (for now) !!!

• - create a new project or try one already in use
  • - on the form, create an event using the "Object Inspector" and double-click on the event to create it, for example, "OnClick"
  • - type something inside this event, for example:
Caption: = "Hello World";
  • - now, create another event, for example, "OnDoubleClick" in the same way as the previous one, using "Object Inspector"
  • - leave this event "empty" - as expected, when you were going to save the file, this event should be "deleted" from your file, because it is empty !!! - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SAVE IT NOW ... wait for the next step
  • - now in the "Editor" make the following comment (or another if you want) before and after this event:
implementation

{$R *.dfm}

// ************* FORM EVENTS BEFORE EVENTS
procedure TForm1.FormClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Caption := 'Hellow World';
end;

procedure TForm1.FormDblClick(Sender: TObject);
begin

end;
// ************* FORM EVENTS LATER EVENTS
  • - now try the file saved !!! (no need save at all)

Side effect: you will see that the IDE / Editor does not eliminate the empty event !!!

• now delete the comment "// ***************** FORM EVENTS ... LATER EVENTS" and try to save the file, again !!!
  • now the empty event will be eliminated from the code, as expected!

Now, try to create an event manually and see the effect!

hug

13 minutes ago, emailx45 said:

you will see that the IDE / Editor does not eliminate the empty event

Same behavior in older IDEs (I've checked with XE2).

image.png.f7722729bfe561525247127740ce15cc.png

This is VCLEditors.pas standard unit used in a package project (package compiles ok) :classic_biggrin:

• Sad 2

We now have six pages of first impressions. This topic has become, as so often with a release, a melting pot of all possible aspects. But it doesn't get any better or clearer and doesn't gain any added value for someone who wants to inform himself about the new release from this page six on (probably already before).

Even if it may be a "first impression" for you individually, please create a new topic for your specific question.

I will leave this topic open for now so that you can quickly finish acute sub-topics.

• Like 2

Another problem (Error Insight):  ds is inherited from TDataset. The wave warning:  'Txxxxxxx does not contain a member named: 'FieldByName'/'Open'/'Free'.

image.thumb.png.2349d9d8e4a3e8bf721ab286ee463844.png

Edited by c0d3r

On 3/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, PeterPanettone said:

The Editor now shows the Error Insight information for the current unit in the Status Bar:

image.png.b97b740d7a28c08fdbabec87a7fe1aa6.png

This is very nice and useful! Thank you, Embarcadero!

Does not work for me properly. If I start a new project form scratch it works just fine. But if I load a "real world" project, it neither underlines the warning/hint nor states it in the status-bar at the bottom.. even if I recompile the whole project... 😞 it would've been such a nice feature

Edited by Perpeto

I still have the feeling that the CodeinSight/ErrorInsight has problems when you use $IFDEF's and/or {$I myfile.inc} , can not prove it, just a feeling i have when i see when there are problems with the *Insight parts.

With 10.4.1 there was issues with CodeinSight and some %IFDEF's but with 10.4.2 I have not seen yet any issues till now.

5 hours ago, Perpeto said:

Does not work for me properly.

hi @Perpeto

did you try "delete" the "DPROJ file" and "re-add" yours project-options again to re-create it?

hug

14 hours ago, emailx45 said:

hi @Perpeto

did you try "delete" the "DPROJ file" and "re-add" yours project-options again to re-create it?

hug

sounds interesting.. do you have any further information why this can help? Will try it out, if I find some time.. thanks!

12 hours ago, Perpeto said:

sounds interesting.. do you have any further information why this can help? Will try it out, if I find some time.. thanks!

Normally, this is the first point when porting a project for another IDE, in my opinion. Why?

• because, many conflict between it, it's just the "configuration". Be by: not recognized, or not used at all.
  • then, creating a new ".DPROJ" file in new IDE (old o new), would be something to think about. For that, you need just "delete it"... the rest is with your IDE = you re-entry the values, save the project, and the IDE re-create it for you.

hug