PeterPanettone

Restore Dock Window after IDE restart?

I run GExperts r3446 in Delphi 10.4.2 on Windows 10 x64. I am trying out the new "Dock Window feature" which seems to be a godsend for me as a specific nested IDE panel is constantly changing its position on the second monitor. At first, it seems to work well (placed the Dock Window on the second monitor). However, the Dock Window and its panel docked into the Dock Window are not being restored after IDE restart, although I have saved everything in a specific IDE desktop and declared that IDE desktop as "default" and "startup".

So how can I make the GEperts Dock Window and its content automatically restore after IDE restart?

Edited by PeterPanettone

The additional Dock Window implementation does not support saving and restoring for now.

1 minute ago, dummzeuch said:

The additional Dock Window implementation does not support saving and restoring for now.

Thanks for the information. However, a thing without saving and restoring it's like a ... ... thing without saving a restoring. I am looking forward to the implementation of Dock Window restoring after IDE restart. However, isn't the saving and restoring of IDE desktop elements done by the IDE desktop itself?

Thank you for your exceptional work!

54 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

However, isn't the saving and restoring of IDE desktop elements done by the IDE desktop itself? 

Yes, but the IDE doesn't know anything about these additional docking windows and there seems to be no way to make it aware of them.

22 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Yes, but the IDE doesn't know anything about these additional docking windows and there seems to be no way to make it aware of them.

Ah, I suspected that. So it seems the saving and restoring of the Dock Window has to be implemented by GExperts itself. Do you need support for implementing that?

51 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Ah, I suspected that. So it seems the saving and restoring of the Dock Window has to be implemented by GExperts itself. Do you need support for implementing that?

It's not very high on my to-do list, as I only know of only two people who use this feature, and I'm not one of them.

But as always, I'll accept patches.

Edited by dummzeuch

1 hour ago, dummzeuch said:

It's not very high on my to-do list

BTW, what was the motivation for you to create the Dock Window GExpert?

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

BTW, what was the motivation for you to create the Dock Window Expert?

Because I could.

It started out as a simple test whether it was possible to create additional dock windows which were themselves not docked in the IDE. When it turned out that it's possible, I added it as an expert in the hope that it might be useful to somebody.

29 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Because I could.

It started out as a simple test whether it was possible to create additional dock windows which were themselves not docked in the IDE. When it turned out that it's possible, I added it as an expert in the hope that it might be useful to somebody.

Thomas, thanks for sharing this information. The Dock Window can indeed be useful, as it is not subjected to the whims of the IDE who often changes the position of things in a seemingly rather irrational manner.

Thank you for having created the Dock Window "because you could"! However, unfortunately, it is USELESS without being automatically restored after IDE restart.

15 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

unfortunately, it is USELESS without being automatically restored after IDE restart.

I don't quite agree that it's useless, but it could definitely be much more useful if it did get restored on an IDE restart.

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

I don't quite agree that it's useless, but it could definitely be much more useful if it did get restored on an IDE restart.

Having to RECREATE a Dock Window on each IDE session IS indeed useless. That would be the same as if you had to inflate your bike tires again each time before each ride on your bike.

How long do you want to argue about this? Until I cede that it's useless? Ok: it's useless. You win.