Lars Fosdal

I will be less active for a few weeks

I  am temporarily disabled due to a fractured (bone fully severed at 75° acute angle) upper left arm after slipping on black ice. A nice clean fracture according to the doctors. 

No surgery or fancy stabilization planned, and the doctors want me to let the body handle it on its own, varying between letting it hang free and using a sling. 

Typing one handed on Android is somewhat frustrating, so I'll be less active until the worst pain phase is over. 

• Sad 9

I am sorry to hear this. I also wish you a fast and full recovery.

• Like 1

@Lars Fosdal Not sure which phone and android version you have, but voice to text has come along way and is pretty good. No reason to be absent 😉

I hope your arm heals fast! 

Edited by Mike Torrettinni
  • Like 1

Get well soon, and don't jump on every skateboard from your children, that you get close to :classic_happy:

• Like 1

Wish you a fast full recovery! Take care!

• Like 1

Update: I am no longer one-armed, but have about 1.65+ arms 😉

Mobility is decent and pain is limited, but there will be weeks of training to get back the strength and full use.

To add insult to injury, I also caught the SARS-Cov-2 English mutation around March 16th, but I was lucky and got a very light progression, almost like a mild flu - but with an unusual amount of fatigue.

Wife and stepson also got it, and they lost all sense of taste and smell, while I kept mine. Wife is currently getting her smell/taste back, but stepson still complains about food having no smell/taste or wrong taste, and that toothpaste tastes awful. We have no idea where we got it from, but I was visiting the hospital on that date, so it may even have been from there.

The hardest part has been the fatigue. All my adult life, I have never been one to take a nap during the day, and typically have slept around 7 hours every night.  The last weeks I've slept 7-8 hours during the night, and on several occasions 3-4 hours in the afternoon. I've been drained, both physically and mentally, and I still tire quickly, but it gets better every day.

I highly recommend NOT contracting this shit!
Keep your distance, wear that mask, wash those hands - and get vaccinated.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

17 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

and get vaccinated.

I have got my first shot on Sunday. Monday morning I felt like 20 again, where I also had massive problems to get out of bed (albeit for other reasons). Took a nap after dinner (can't remember doing such thing before). Fortunately that fatigue went away in the evening. So I highly recommend a vaccination, too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

To add insult to injury, I also caught the SARS-Cov-2 English mutation around March 16th, but I was lucky and got a very light progression, almost like a mild flu - but with an unusual amount of fatigue.

Ouch.... I wish you full recovery.... I would also say speedy, but you don't recover fast from that thingy.... I also had mild symptoms (I had way worse flu infections), but fatigue is beyond extreme... I literally slept for a month.

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I highly recommend NOT contracting this shit!

Absolutely. It is quite bad experience even with mild symptoms.

• Thanks 1

Bugger, sorry to hear that, hope you are well on the mend! We've been extremely fortunate here and haven't had a community transmission case for quite some time (at least where I live). Being an island and closing the borders helped immensely. The vaccine rollout is very slow, I can't get it till end of May last I heard (lack of supply).    

• Thanks 1

I'm glad you're back!
Still no vaccine for me. I'm too young :classic_cheerleader: . I hope by Aug or Sept I'll get my double dose.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Come to us, we have those vaccines at every corner 🙂

That might be so, but you probably have a bunch of covid in the community too.. I'll stay down under where it's under control at the moment 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I also caught the SARS-Cov-2 English mutation

Get well and I hope you won't get any of the Long Covid symptoms I read about.

I plan to get vaccinated the first chance I get. Unfortunately that will likely not be before fall, given the current availability of the vaccines here in Germany, NRW. Too old to not be afraid, too young to get priority and no important job either. OTOH I can work from home 99.9% so it's OK.

• Like 1

We have no idea where we got it from, but I was visiting the hospital on that date, so it may even have been from there.

Här ägnar journalisterna mer tid åt att skriva om vad Ni (nordiska grannar) tycker om Oss i stället för hur vi har det Här. KRYA på sig!!!

Over here, the media is putting more effort into "analysing" what You (Norwegians, Danish, Finnish, Icelandic's) thinks about us (Swedes) than what is actually happening here. Do get well!

Personally i have not even sneezed since 2018-05 or some such. My in-living daughter, her dog and boyfriend have had colds and throat aces and stuff throughout, tested negative at all occasions. Makes me really worried what will happen when i encounter a common cold next time. The auto-defence-system needs to be kept in action and at the same time not to be overwhelmed. Very similar to choosing a pattern when facing a coding conundrum... Or mixing powder for fireworks.

1 hour ago, Vincent Parrett said:

That might be so, but you probably have a bunch of covid in the community too.. I'll stay down under where it's under control at the moment 😉

IDK, that's a mystery that evil KGB hides from public but most of restrictions were removed long ago, just requirement of wearing masks and gloves in public transport remain.