corneliusdavid

Android 11 Support in 10.4.2?

I'm not going to talk about delphi 10.4.2 because I still have 10.4.1. But on sdk, you don't need to use this Embarcadero tool, it is almost always a version behind. Ideally, you should install Android Studio on your own, open it and Configure> SDK Manager and install (download) the latest sdk, get the directory and configure it in your Delphi Options > Deployment > SDK Manager> Android

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much--that makes sense and I got it installed and configured in Delphi and connected to my Pixel phone.  🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, vfbb said:

... you should install Android Studio on your own, open it and Configure> SDK Manager and install (download) the latest sdk,  ....

Yes, thats better supported by Android.

But it is not recommended way by Embarcadero, due to the fact that there may occur some incompatibilities to Rx1042 libraries.

Its worth a try, if you don't use special Android hardware and features, but in case of issues it may be hard to solve either.

I just got an answer from Embarcadero in which they state API 30 is not officially supported with 10.4.2. They plan on supporting API 30 in Delphi 10.5....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:48 PM, M. Toussaint said:

I just got an answer from Embarcadero in which they state API 30 is not officially supported with 10.4.2. They plan on supporting API 30 in Delphi 10.5....

But the official Embarcadero docwiki 10.4 Sydney - Release 2 - RAD Studio (embarcadero.com) states that it does. 

Is it safe to follow @vfbb 's post above?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, MikeMon said:

Is it safe to follow @vfbb 's post above?

All I know is that it is working very well for me. I've got a Delphi app on my Android 11 phone that I actively use and it works well.

8 hours ago, MikeMon said:

But the official Embarcadero docwiki 10.4 Sydney - Release 2 - RAD Studio (embarcadero.com) states that it does. 

To clarify: Android 11 is supported. The distinction is in the value for targetSdkVersion that ends up in AndroidManifest.xml (currently, the value is set to 29, as opposed to 30). A targetSdkVersion of 30 is yet to be fully supported, as it requires changes to the support of accessing external storage (and possibly other aspects of API 30). This is what is being referred to with a statement of:

8 hours ago, MikeMon said:

API 30 is not officially supported with 10.4.2

They really should make the distinction if they are saying it like that.

Also, targeting an API level (via targetSdkVersion) and building against an API level are 2 completely different things, so downloading platform API level 30 and changing the SDK settings to suit is not the same as changing the target.

• Like 3

@Dave Nottage, thanks for that explanation. To further clarify my situation and after looking at my project again, my target SDK is only at 25.2.25 so while that works on my Android 11, it doesn't support all the newest features of Android API 30.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

my target SDK is only at 25.2.25

I guess I did not explain it well enough. The value you quoted is not the targetSdkVersion that I mentioned - it is the version of the installed SDK, which has absolutely nothing to do with targetSdkVersion, platform API level, or pretty much any other value that is important to Android development.

• Like 1

Wow--OK.  This is more confusing than I first thought--I have more study to do on this!  Thanks for pointing that out.

• Confused 1

I am new with Android. With Delphi 11. It install sdk 25. Do I have to install another sdk to be able to use api 30?

No, the SDK (Software Development Kit) contains tools to support various APIs (Application Programming Interface). The one that comes with Delphi 11 generates Android apps that run on my Google Pixel running Android 11 (API 30).