Ian Branch

Real World D10.4.2 Build speed. Tick.

Hi Team,

Win 10 64bit OS PC, 32GB Ram.  m.2 hard drive.

I initially tried 10.4.2 but had some issues that are documented elsewhere and I see are the subject of QC entries.  So I went back to D10.4.1.

I have now come back to D10.4.2.

I have seen a few articles about Build/Compile speeds so I thought I would do my own real-world comparison.

In 10.4.1 I had Several IDE 'enhancements' loaded and multiple 3rd party libraries, including DDevExtensions & IDEFixPack.

I rebuilt my major project group, 18 Apps, according to the build dialog 1821477 lines, 29 Hints, 36 Warnings, 0 Errors.  Build time was 1m 27s.  I was comfortable with that.

In 10.4.2, obviously my old IDEFixPack isn't directly installed but there are multiple components of it now resident in the IDE.  The only IDE 'enhancement' I had to reload was Parnassus Bookmarks via GetIt.

Without doing anything else aside from updating and re-installing on the 10.4.2 side, I rebuilt my project group again, interestingly, 2041796 lines, 29 Hints, 38 Warnings, 0 Errors.  Build time was 1m 19secs, despite the apparent additional lines compiled/built.

Subsequent exiting/restarting Delphi and reloading/rebuilding the project group gave me 1m 21secs.

Without exiting, just rebuilding, I got 1m 25secs.  Interesting.

Repeating, I got 1m 20 sec.

n.b.  The above times include post processing by Eurekalog.

All up, I notice no real difference in the Project Group load time and I am happy with the speed.

Regards,

Ian

Edited by Ian Branch

On 3/9/2021 at 3:35 AM, Ian Branch said:

In 10.4.1 I had Several IDE 'enhancements' loaded and multiple 3rd party libraries, including DDevExtensions

DDevExtensions for 10.4.1 can indeed be obtained by pre-compiling the source files from the GitHub repository. With that, everything is clear...

In 10.4.1 I had Several IDE 'enhancements' loaded and multiple 3rd party libraries, including DDevExtensions & IDEFixPack.

But where did you get the IDE Fix Pack for Delphi 10.4.1 when the latest version only supports Delphi 10.3.3?

In 10.4.1 I had Several IDE 'enhancements' loaded

Do these improvements apply to Rad Studio 10.4.2? If so, can you share them with us?