sjordi

Bluetooth not working with 10.3 on Mac?

Hi,

I tried all BlueTooth examples available with 10.3 Rio on my Mac (Xcode 10.1) but none of the them, compiled to Windows or macOS, work.

Each time I click the scan button to list all available BlueTooth devices, I get a dialog box stating:

Error

BlueTooth device not found: disconnected or turned off.

My BlueTooth card on my Mac is turned on and fully functional. 

Can anybody here use BlueTooth functionalities with Rio 10.3 on a Mojave macOS machine with Xcode 10.1? Or do you face the same problem?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 08.39.49.png

I had issues with Bluetooth LE on MacBook and iMac at High Sierra, so I downgraded to Sierra do get BLE connection again.

It was definitifely not a hardware issue, and also not an RadStudio issue, but I'm not sure either what went wrong.
There were problems even with the Apple mouse to get connected after the update.
I have read about many different issues with High Sierra at that time in Apple forums (and now probably solved by Mojave),
but I'm always a little reluctant with upgrading a running system too fast.

Edit:

Not sure how long I could postpone upgrade still (March 2019), but after upgrade
I would need 100% Bluetooth support too, otherwise I will get into some big trouble.

Not sure if any changes have been in the CoreBluetooth from Sierra, to High Sierre, to Mojave.

I'm afraid I have to do some more compatibility tests soon.

image.png.0da39a9b110486674858196a0c0eaba4.png

Edited by Rollo62

Hi thanks,

All BlueTooth devices work correctly with the Mac, including BT browsers, etc... 

Only the utilities compiled with 10.3 Rio don't work.

Strange.

Hi,

is there any solution for this issue in meantime?

I use a MacBookAir 2018 with Mojave and XCode 10.1 with Delphi 10.3.1 and get the same error message if I want to use Bluetooth-LE on my MacBook Air.

Best regards, Philipp

I opened a support ticket with them (burnt one of my 3 allowed free tickets) just to be answered that this is a known bug in the Quality Portal and I should follow the ticket to be notified when solved. I told them that I already subscribed to the ticket but opened a case to speed things up. Now I don't call this very efficient (paid) support.

They told me that they would notify the engineers that the bug affects my business since I can't release my macOS product version. But I have very small hopes.

5 hours ago, sjordi said:

... just to be answered that this is a known bug in the Quality Portal and I should follow the ticket to be notified when solved...

That's a *SHAME*

Is EMB a 5 guys running business ?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stéphane Wierzbicki said:

Is EMB a 5 guys running business ?

If that were the case we should at least be getting some decent burgers...

• Haha 1

Phil,

I think that you should revert to RadStudio Berlin and Xcode 9.x

The bug has been notified on RadStudio 10.2 and 10.3 and Xcode 10...

I set up a Mac Virtual Machine but didn't have time yet to test with Berlin and Xcode 9. That might be a solution, but not everyone has the luxury of several VMs, etc... I'm lucky I backup my development VMs so I can come back in time (up to C++Builder 6)...

But the bug has to be fixed. I mean, they still distribute the Bluetooth LE samples and they do not work.

I have now Delphi Berlin 10.1.2 installed, PA Server 18.0 and Xcode 9.4.1 but get still the exception "BluetoothDevice is not found or disconnected"

if I request "TBluetoothLEManager.startDiscovery" after I have set TBluetoothLE.enabled:=true successfully.

Any other tip? 

Did you try your executable on Hight Sierra and Sierra? I think it's a cascade of conditions that makes it not work 

The next step is to downgrade my second MacBookAir to Sierra. But then I can use it internally but can't delivery it to end Consumer as I can't specify the OS-Version to use.

Not that I would recommend such harsh steps, but has anybody tried to reset something in the MacOS ?

I'm not a Mac guy at all, so thats why I'm very hesitating to get any deeper into the Mac hardware secrets.

Maybe there are other tools or settings which could help.

Edit:

Maybe it helps to search for differences in CoreBluetooth, which could affect Rx10.3.1 apps.

Does anyboy know good MacOS forums for such kind of question ?

Edited by Rollo62

I can confirm, with Delphi 10.3.1 and MacOS Sierra (-> Xcode 9.2) the BLE implementation is up and running. So I don't have to use the old Delphi Version but have the problem that my clients have to use Sierra also (-> no use case for me).

Edited by philipp.hofmann

Philipp,

Thanks for digging for us. Just like you, the problem is that I can't tell customers "well, just stick to Sierra or downgrade". That's why I created a ticket with Embarcadero.

They really have to fix this.