Juan C.Cilleruelo

Delphi 10.4.2 Right Click over a word -> Find Declaration, Not working.

Does anyone note this problem? Or is it only my problem?

Never works. I've tried with existing files in the uses clause, with units in the path and more.

The only occasion in that works is when the Declaration is in the same file. 

For me it works poorly - often it takes really long time (5-10 s between Ctrl+click and moving to the declaration, but there is no indication that "Delphi is thinking about it"), or it does not work at all.

For me, this hardly ever worked in 8.4.1, and it was great, when I first installed 8.4.2, to find it reliable again.  Now, it's gone; I will have to experiment removing stuff to see if I can get it back.

For most libs it works. For DevExpress it does not.

DevExpress is put on "precompiled" .dcu's to save compile time.

I'm pretty confident that the installer followed the "rules".

Oddly enough, it does not work.

Mind, i have had other deadlines so i have not had time to tinker.

So i would /guess/ this is something about Library vs Browsing path. (??!)

It is IHMO mighty important functionality ,whenever it fails we have to spend 15 extra minutes on goggling, Ctrl+F in VS Code, trying to make the "Help" work at all, or some other "workaround". Utterly annoying and breaks ones workflow. Argh!!

HTH

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Works fine her, too.

Ouch, that could be interpreted... well. Just remember these are modern "post-me-to-times".

It doesn't work if your search path only has the dcu's or dcp's - which if you use runtime packages is quite likely. I have turned LSP off, but sadly 10.4 cripples the old code insight somewhat and navigating my code has become a real chore. 

• Sad 2

I think its related to the complexity and separation of your modules.

I mean

small, well decoupled units: works fine and fast

large, much coupled units: works sluggy, slow, sometimes cannot resolve

Thats just my feeling, I cannot realy measure, but decoupling is generally a good thing (also for class design).

Edited by Rollo62

Yes, I'm not saying this is the only cause, only one possible reason.

Its a little unpredictable when its happening, usually starting new Units work mostly fine, until a certain point.

16 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

It doesn't work if your search path only has the dcu's or dcp's - which if you use runtime packages is quite likely.

So you should be able to make a reproducible test case - in case there is none already.

I have the same problem, finally I switched to "Delphi (Classic Code Insight)" and it works fine.

But now it's a bit annoying that after doing a "Find Declaration" in the Code Editor, the cursor every two seconds shows the hourglass. :classic_sad:

image.png.b2e1d13915ddeda7233da29897a5e9a0.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I my case, I found the problem: 

When I have LSP activated and the application configuration build is in "RELEASE" mode, it is when "Find Declaration" don't work.

If the configuration build is in "DEBUG" mode, then "Find Declaration" goes correctly!

• Confused 1

It would be interesting to inspect the different settings in your DEBUG and RELEASE configurations to find the real cause.

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

It would be interesting to inspect the different settings in your DEBUG and RELEASE configurations to find the real cause.

Hi Uwe, thank you for your observation. 

I maked some tests and I realised that in "Release Mode" the units that are in the "search path" of my project, are the ones that "Find Declaration" don't work, but the units included in the project or the standard units like Vcl.forms, ... then "Find Declaration" works.

I've had problems with it, off and on, for the last few versions.  Seems like sometimes a build would fix it.  Sometimes going to another project and back would fix it.  But tonight it stopped working for me completely and nothing I tried (including deleting the DSK file) would fix it.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, Juan C.Cilleruelo said:

Does anyone note this problem? Or is it only my problem?

Never works. I've tried with existing files in the uses clause, with units in the path and more.

The only occasion in that works is when the Declaration is in the same file. 

Not always works. If a remember well forward definition of method/function in the same file was working in previous versions, not is not working (instead of going to the right function definition IDE shows up a OpenFile dialog !)

On 3/13/2021 at 11:31 PM, Uwe Raabe said:
On 3/13/2021 at 7:10 AM, Vincent Parrett said:

It doesn't work if your search path only has the dcu's or dcp's - which if you use runtime packages is quite likely.

So you should be able to make a reproducible test case - in case there is none already.

I did report this with a reproducible test case, but they knew about it long before then.

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-32666

• Thanks 2

For me, it comes and goes.  Today it is working again.  When I had the problem I tried rebooting, etc, and nothing I did fixed the problem.  It just started working again.

Also, I got 10.4.2 shortly after it came out, and putting the cursor over a variable to see its contents wasn't working, although ctrl-F7 was.  But yesterday it started working.

And I can't log in to the quality website.  It won't take the password I think I used and it doesn't give me the option of resetting it.  It says " If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators. " but I have no idea what JIRA is.