PeterPanettone

Scalable IDE Toolbar icons?

The IDE's toolbar icons are 16-pixel from stone-age. Wouldn't it be nice if the IDE's toolbar icons could be freely scaled? On my 4K main monitor, 20 pixels for the toolbar-icons would be a better fit. To achieve this, the IDE's toolbar-icons should be based on SVG and fall back on single icons where only a bitmap-icon is available. I.e., SVG-ImageLists always output bitmap icons, they only save the images internally as SVG. This would contribute to the usability of the IDE.

What do you think?

Edited by PeterPanettone

17 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Is this a request to Embarcadero to use SVGIconImageList for the IDE toolbar-icons instead of the stone-age 16x16 Pixel-ImageLists? Will Embarcadero hear the request?

BTW, all the icons Embarcadero uses for the IDE toolbar-icons are also available as SVG icons. So the effort to switch to scalable icons would be MINIMAL!

Edited by PeterPanettone

It is a fully working third party component for scalable icons. 

Edit: I missed that you wanted it specifically for the IDE. I don't know if that is on the road map. 

Edited by Lars Fosdal

Theming was more important, and screwing the ide, looking unusable if the the drawing bpls are removed, thx to xy. 

I can't wait how slow it will be if it has to draw on 4K.

2 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

It is a fully working third party component for scalable icons.

It has some tiny rendering errors with some very complex SVG documents. But it is easy to use for Icon-List purposes. For Embarcadero it would be perfect. As I said, the effort for Embarcadero would be minimal.

Edited by PeterPanettone

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Edit: I missed that you wanted it specifically for the IDE. I don't know if that is on the road map. 

It's on the roadmap as I wrote for Delphi 10.5 (High DPI IDE Support).

image.thumb.png.d20254a1764c5d83c66a04f87f9ff949.png

They write: "High DPI IDE Support". Is that meant for the WHOLE IDE or only for parts of the IDE?

Edited by PeterPanettone

7 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Is that meant for the WHOLE IDE or only for parts of the IDE?

You define the manifest for the entire application, if it's implemented correctly for everything even the form designer should be DPI sensitive.

Unfortunately we will have to wait for the first authorized posts from the beta testers to learn about it. Let's hope the beta will start soon.

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

even the form designer should be DPI sensitive.

I guess, the tricky part is to make the IDE support High-DPI while the form designer stays on PixelsPerInch = 96 (Irony: This would be pretty easy with the undocked designer).

Imagine the controls shifting around when one DFM is designed on several systems with different DPI.

One cannot expect all developers in a team working in exactly the same environment. Merging changes in DFMs would be near to impossible.

14 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

This would be pretty easy with the undocked designer

I can scale the docked form designer as I want, the tricky part is that half+ of the VCL components are don't like negative zoom, then, for a pixel perfect design the designer should be scaled to a multiplication of a whole number and the components should snap into place. The rest is just a projection.

28 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Imagine the controls shifting around when one DFM is designed on several systems with different DPI.

One cannot expect all developers in a team working in exactly the same environment. Merging changes in DFMs would be near to impossible.

This is the reason I am hoping that there will be a longer then usual beta period for the new release. Even Delphi 10.4.2 still has a large number of problems due to the changes they made (internal errors and Access Violations).

Instead of forcing "HIGH-DPI on the IDE, wouldn't it be better to use SVG-ImageLists for the toolbar-icons and menu-icons, and for all other IDE-components have a user-configuration for the font-sizes? It would be so easy!

High-DPI is required in order to work with the users DPI settings. Without that the program cannot determine how to scale the svg image or which version of the image to draw at what size.

8 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

It would be so easy!

Of course it would. It is just that all others are completely incompetent. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

Just now, Lajos Juhász said:

High-DPI is required in order to work with the users DPI settings. Without that the program cannot determine how to scale the svg image or which version of the image to draw at what size.

You do not understand the concept of SVG-ImageLists: SVG-Images are not scaled in SVG-ImageLists, the pixel-output of SVG-ImageLists is scaled according to the user setting. And the IDE does not have to determine any scale. Let the user determine the scale of the icons according to his wishes.

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Of course it would. It is just that all others are completely incompetent

Come on, why do you start again with harassment? Does it make you feel good?