david_navigator

Reverse method walker

When I need to fix a bug in a method I try and think through all the places in the code that use that method, so that I can design my fix correctly (and then the tests won't fail), however as projects get bigger and methods inevitably call other methods, that gets harder and harder.
I tend to manually recursively use grep, e.g grep for calls to this method and then grep for calls to the methods that call this method etc etc, but that's time consuming and boring.

Does anyone know of any tool that can analyse a project and then show all the paths to a specific method ?

Ideally with some kind of family tree like output e.g so if I had to fix Display Value, I would have a reminder of all the places that relied on that method.

image.thumb.png.0d04c1deaf39107f1eca7fad15201cbc.png

This is a part of the Called By graph for the TCodeItem.Clear method in MMX Code Explorer as created by Understand. The dots allow to dynamically expand/collapse the next level. This goes up even to wired event handlers, f.i. to quickly find the form and control triggering the call.

image.thumb.png.dfb49e0fb4c848526c4a552373a6c58a.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

Looks great. Any idea of the cost as the web site doesn't even give a clue 😞

Licensing

$995

When refactoring/rename works (which for me it does not in 10.4.2 now), I renamed the method to something which is not used in the project. Then I used Find in files. And finaly refactoring/rename back to original name.

5 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

Odd. I just get a page with a load of flags. Maybe you need a login to get a price ?

This is what my Browser show by opening the link i posted.

Screenshot - 27_03.png

//edit

Without being registered to that site sir.

Edited by KodeZwerg

Depends on which country the server is locating you. AFAIK, for Germany the reseller is Emenda.

@KodeZwerg, do you have anything like a proxy, VPN or something active when you browse that site?

Note that the shown price is for a one year subscription. Nevertheless totally worth it.

6 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Depends on which country the server is locating you. AFAIK, for Germany the reseller is Emenda.

@KodeZwerg, do you have anything like a proxy, VPN or something active when you browse that site?

Proxy = No.

Browser = Opera has internal VPN turned on.

External (Windows) VPN turned off.

Turning Opera internal VPN to off state will redirect to @david_navigator site, @Uwe Raabe is a genius, in no way I would have thought about that.

Excuse me please, my intention was just to help.