berean52

Trouble with installing community edition serial number

I have downloaded the community edition for Delphi RAD Studio 10.3 and was sent the email with a serial number to register it with.  When I submit that serial number, I'm told that no valid serial number was found.  I've tried the advanced registration options with the same result (which is seen in the image I've provided).

Any help in overcoming this issue?

TIA!

issue.PNG

Try starting LicenseManager.exe and see if you have any stale or invalid licenses around.

Delete those if any, and try again?

On 4/7/2021 at 11:42 PM, Lars Fosdal said:

Try starting LicenseManager.exe and see if you have any stale or invalid licenses around.

Delete those if any, and try again?

Thanks, I did and actually removed them and downloaded the file and tried the specific license and both failed even after starting new.  It says it's already registered when it checks with the licensing server but then it gives me that message still and won't let me into the IDE at all.

@berean52, are you on Windows 10, and if so, is Controlled Folder Access enabled? You can check for this in Settings | Update & Security | Windows Security |  Virus & threat protection | Manage ransomware protection (or more quickly, by clicking the Start button and typing "Controlled Folder Access", and selecting that option). The reason I ask is that the behaviour you are seeing - the licensing server says all is well, but the local IDE says not - suggests that the IDE is unable to access the licence file on startup thus thinks it does not exist. A possible reason for the inability to access the licence file is if Controlled Folder Acess is in force and blocking the IDE.

Nigel

Does anybody have an example of the correct and activated cglm.ini file?
I noticed that the activation wizard has successfully generated the .slip file (what I thought to be the activation file, from inspecting said .ini). I suppose, the activation wizard also has to change the .ini file after finishing the .slip generation, but can't for some OS-specific reason, if the user could intervene I think the IDE can be unlocked. I'd experiment further with changing some variables in .ini file iteratively, but the community license has 3 times activation limit. Each experiment I perform on the assembly ends up corrupting the licenseManager state so I have to re-activate each time (the server counted it as an activation attempt), so it's faster if anyone could help with the .ini file.

Thanks in advance.

@riev96
cglm.ini file will not help you. There is no license info in that file.
SLIP files, on the other hand, are personal, and not to be shared.

@Lars Fosdal, there's this property in the .ini  "SLIPFile", that is left empty. i suspect that's where the license file/path should be when the activation is done correctly. There's previous answer mentioning "Controlled Folder Access", so i thought the issue is about access right (when installing on the unsupported OS), so I start checking for irregularity and find that blank property. either way I'm stuck. 

@Cristian Peța, yes the current community edition is delphi 11, i think the Delphi editor and IDE are packed inside the RAD studio 11, which is blocked by the activation issue

There's also this error message "missing or unset registration wizard initialization parameters" when I'm accessing rad studio's EXEs, and there's no RAD studio instances running on the background, so they're accessing common file/registry, that's how I came in with checking config files. 

7 minutes ago, riev96 said:

there's this property in the .ini  "SLIPFile", that is left empty. i suspect that's where the license file/path should be when the activation is done correctly.

In my case SLIPFile is empty with an activated Delphi. 

@Lajos Juhász what about "LockType"? i tried varying those in hope to bypass the activation wizard with common value like 0, -1 or 255 (mine is 5)

[Embarcadero License Management]
RootDir=${MODULE_DIR}\..
LicenseDir=${ROOTDIR}\License
InfoDir=${COMMON_APPDATA}\Embarcadero\.licenses
SlipDir=${COMMON_APPDATA}\Embarcadero\
RegExe=LicenseManager.exe
LockType=5
[Embarcadero Serial Numbers]
[Embarcadero SLIP Files]
SLIPFile=

@Lajos Juhász any different?