Mike Torrettinni

Delphi IDE on AMD cpu?

I'm thinking of switching from Intel to AMD. I know the Delphi compiled projects work on AMD cpus, but I worry about Delphi IDE. Especially after 10.4.2 release.

Is anybody actively using Delphi IDE on latest AMD cpu 5000 or previous 3000 series, desktop series of course, and can confirm no issues because of AMD cpu?

I have been running 10.4.2 for 2 months on a AMD 5600X with no stability problems.  Mine is a desktop build, so cooling is easy to keep under control.

The IDE is very responsive, LSP definitely performs better compared to my laptop,   Compile time is 20-30% improved.

IDE stability is likely linked to the graphics card / driver underneath more than the processor. I did go very low end with an NVIDIA GT 1030 from a good supplier ASUS.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SwiftExpat said:

I have been running 10.4.2 for 2 months on a AMD 5600X with no stability problems.

Thanks, good to hear!

The IDE is very responsive, LSP definitely performs better compared to my laptop,   Compile time is 20-30% improved.

Do you have Intel in your laptop? A comparable cpu, or 20-30% slower than 5600x?

IDE stability is likely linked to the graphics card / driver underneath more than the processor.

Interesting. Those topics for 10.4.2, on this forum, kind of indicate it could be anything, as consistently inconsistent LSP is working.

I don't see l any good reason why the IDE stability would have anything to do with hardware. It's just bug ridden. 

Those AMD processors are pretty tasty. Gamers love them. But they are way over powered for Delphi. Most important thing you can do for Delphi IDE perf is have a good SSD. 

• Like 1

I should clarify, ongoing defects considered and compared, Delphi has no more stability problems on my AMD vs Intel laptop. I acknowledge that if the hardware gives me perceived stability, it is likely masking race conditions.

My Intel laptop is not likely be more than 10-15% slower in this workload, both are SSD as David points to. Laptops suffer from heat, as soon as the processor gets hot it starts to throttle down. The new desktop has plenty of cooling so it stays at full throttle. Your goal with an AMD build has to be keep it cool to maintain full core speed. So the speed gain is likely staying at full throttle, with a little extra clock speed.

If you are looking at a 5600 you should be running more than just Delphi to actually use those 6 cores and the cache you are buying.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I agree about the hardware stuff, If you are a developer and someone has to suggest SSD and good cooling, you are wasting time and money on a PC of your choosing, unless someone who knows about this stuff helps you.

2 hours ago, SwiftExpat said:

If you are looking at a 5600 you should be running more than just Delphi to actually use those 6 cores and the cache you are buying.

That's probably not going to be enough for running VMs. Not sure which cpu I will choose, but out of all the software I use, I'm concerned most about Delphi IDE.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:16 AM, David Heffernan said:

I don't see l any good reason why the IDE stability would have anything to do with hardware. It's just bug ridden. 

Those AMD processors are pretty tasty. Gamers love them. But they are way over powered for Delphi. Most important thing you can do for Delphi IDE perf is have a good SSD. 

I am very happy with my AMD in a system where it is not unusual to have multiple VMs running.

• Thanks 1

I'm working on Ryzen 5900X, the computer after switching from i7 3770 got such wings that I close the windows to keep it from flying away 😉
I work in a virtual machines (vmware), currently I have 2 machines open. The system on the host is Ubuntu, which has very low requirements and low overhead. The ram usage (including the two virtuals) is currently at 10 GB (and I have Firefox open with many tabs, Slack, Telegram and many background services).

I strongly recommend AMD

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

I am very happy with my AMD in a system where it is not unusual to have multiple VMs running.

2 hours ago, Jacek Laskowski said:

I strongly recommend AMD

Thanks, good to know!

Little disappointing with Intel's 11 gen, so looking at AMD. 5900x seems to be a good choice, anything above is overkill for my work.

35 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Thanks, good to know!

Little disappointing with Intel's 11 gen, so looking at AMD. 5900x seems to be a good choice, anything above is overkill for my work.

The 5900X is probably overkill, too. Mine is a 3800X and I've been running it for over a year. Glad I bought it. Would have liked to get a 12 core, but in truth, my experience has been that the 8 core is a very good fit. You could get a 3900X and use the $200+ toward memory. In my environment, 64GB is now the sweet spot.

If running Delphi is the biggest concern that you have, as you stated above, then it looks like you are significantly over-speccing this machine. 

24 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

64GB is now the sweet spot.

Yes, I think I will go for it. Current 32GB was enough, but got close to the max often. So, 64GB should be enough for next 5 years or so.

1 hour ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Yes, I think I will go for it. Current 32GB was enough, but got close to the max often. So, 64GB should be enough for next 5 years or so.

Using all your memory doesn't necessarily mean that your computer would be slower with less. It usually just means that your computer is making the disk cache as large as possible.