David Champion

Forum for Spring4D

But what if I would not answer there 😉 

Seriously - I understand people getting their area here if they don't have their own place already - Spring4D already has its own place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, Stefan Glienke said:

https://groups.google.com/g/spring4d as I get an email notification - but I also watch SO and this forum.

Trying to visit it today, I noticed that google has blocked to view old discussions

Is that happennig only for myself?

@Stefan Glienke I see "Spring4D has been identified as containing spam, malware, or other malicious content." 

I guess someone reported it maliciously, or an algorithm screwed up (most likely). 

@Stefan GlienkeOn the BitBucket repo 4 days ago you tagged for download version 2.0.beta.1.

Version 2.0 was at alpha.2 8 months ago.

Is this a significant release and should I start to prefer this over 1.2.4 if I dont mind some risks?

Are the sub-set of collections solid, unchanged and represent low risk usage?

Obviously there is the word 'beta' in the tag so clearly there is still a way to go.

2 hours ago, David Champion said:

Is this a significant release and should I start to prefer this over 1.2.4 if I dont mind some risks?

It's definitely a significant release, a major overhaul of the collection classes which reduces generic code bloat a lot. I've been using the develop branch for the last year or so in my develop branch - while it's broken things occasionally (I just revert to a previous working commit) the fact that it's tagged as beta.1 suggests it's on the home stretch and major breaking changes from here on in are unlikely. 

I can tell you I removed all references to system.generics.collections in FinalBuilder (dev branch, 4M lines of code so not a small task!) and am using the DI container and it's made things significantly faster (faster startup, faster at runtime).  I'm also using spring4d develop extensively in the dpm package manager project.

If you don't mind some risk then I would go for it. 

• Like 5

I still have to prepare the blog article about the beta. Vincent already summarized what 2.0 provides.

Testing early is always appreciated as it helps find any possible issues. There might be some minor breaking changes which I will outline in the article.

Still no response from google though after sending feedback about the blocked forum. Their reaction times are atrocious.

Edited by Stefan Glienke

11 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Their reaction times are atrocious.

If they react at all.

How should I submit an issue in Spring4D (Developer branch)? I have a small code snipped demonstrating a subtle issue with Containers. It appeared after commit d10edc3 (2022-07-19).

BitBucket repo doesn't allow me to create an issue (probably I need an invitation).

The days of using Bitbucket are coming to an end later this year anyway.

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Sad 1

Looks to be yet another Bitbucket glitch - I have seen others report the same behavior recently and in the past. One more reason to move forward to another place rather sooner than later (99% sure it will be github which only lost to bitbucket back then because it did not have free private repos at that time).

Edited by Stefan Glienke
  • Like 2