malobo

Delphi 10.4.2 Professional

Hi guys.

I have been working with this version for the last three weeks. From the first moment I have problems with the opening / closing of forms. On average, it takes 10 to 12 seconds to open a form. My computer is an I7, 32Gb., 1TB SSD. I don't have antivirus. It is normal?

2 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Have you disabled LiveBindings?

No. I try it. Thank you!!!

12 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

How can I do it, please?

43 minutes ago, malobo said:

On average, it takes 10 to 12 seconds to open a form. My computer is an I7, 32Gb., 1TB SSD. 

You can also try disabling package cache, it helped in my case. 

You need to edit registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Package Cache and then set the DisableAll value to 1. If it does not exist add new DWORD value with that name.

But 10-12 seconds is really long time. Maybe something else is in play. If disabling Live Bindings and package cache does not help I would recommend filing bug report at https://quality.embarcadero.com/

• Thanks 1

If you set up visual inheritance with advanced (complex, convoluted) controls like DX and skinning and all, yes form loading in the IDE (even Berlin) can take an inordinate amount of time.

Avoid Visual inheritance except for two levels. Use frames and do not put more levels on frames either. In the IDE disable all lull-lull (skins).

And, as other wrote, livebinding => kill. The speedups that our house guru always put together are not available for 10.4.2 (correct me if wrong) so Dalia above have identified one of the more pertaining stuff that Hausladen (IDE fix pack, speedup) did previously.

I bought a gaming-rig to be able to do (convoluted) visual stuff in 10.4.2. I'll probably have to buy another one in 2-3 years 😞

11 minutes ago, Dany Marmur said:

I bought a gaming-rig to be able to do (convoluted) visual stuff in 10.4.2

How does a transparent case and fans with LED lighting help with that?

image.thumb.png.91ca3957571c52197dbce278f26c0892.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Anders Melander, my gaming-rig does not even have a graphics card. Let alone fancy lightning (there are some colorful leds on the motherboard but i do not see them).

It was merely a way of getting the most cycles per buck, and promptly delivered. I would love a high end Xeon from Dell but that is 2,5 times the price.

It has a huge fan, a huge (cheaper, clocked) cpu and some really nice memory and M2 disks.

Definitely no barbies. None whatsoever.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

Great!!!! That was exactly !!! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

@Dany Marmur My own desktop system is built around a 9 year old Asus mainboard in a 16 years old Lian Li PC-V2100B Plus II case. AFAIR I upgraded the CPU 5 years ago.

It was built from parts, so fairly cheap, and it works fine. I've never had much success (performance) with the prebuilt systems my various employers have forced on me. No matter how much money they used on it.

My laptop though is a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme but I seldom use it. I need a mans keyboard 🙂

image.thumb.png.89212d227d7530b496b02a05db8ce015.png

Wow. Looking at the picture I just noticed the gunk between the keys 🤮. I usually don't look at the keyboard.

Edited by Anders Melander
  • Like 2

I would give some for a 20-yr old keyboard with a metal base. Miss those. Don't need the windoze-button much.

My eyes are very runny these days, so after wiping them i use the same cloth to wipe the keyboard. Works every time 🙂

Well, according to the label under my keyboard it's from 1995 so it's seen some stuff. I've got a spare that's even older.

You can still get a model M in good (or refurbished) condition on eBay. The main problem will be the mainboard keyboard connector. I have one keyboard with the "new" 6 pin mini-DIN PS/2 connector (the one I use) and one with the old 5 pin DIN connector. The cable is detachable so the cable with the PS/2 connector fits both keyboards. Anyway, even if your mainboard has a PS/2 connector it might not be able to supply enough power through it. The model M needs a bit of power when it "boots" so sometimes I have to reboot the PC a few times before there's life in the keyboard. Usually not a problem as I always go to standby. Also be aware that most USB-PS/2 adapters doesn't supply enough power.

I also have a backup keyboard with Cherry MX Blue (tactile, clicky) switches but it's just not the same.

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

How does a transparent case and fans with LED lighting help with that?

image.thumb.png.91ca3957571c52197dbce278f26c0892.png

These don't, but the girls do. "Frauenpower" as we say in Denglish.

(Hm, not sure whether this is sexist. If it is: Sorry ladies this is meant to be a joke.)

1 hour ago, Dany Marmur said:

I would give some for a 20-yr old keyboard with a metal base. Miss those. Don't need the windoze-button much.

My eyes are very runny these days, so after wiping them i use the same cloth to wipe the keyboard. Works every time 🙂

https://www.clickykeyboards.com Has new and restored IBM keyboards from 25-30 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

You can get a new Model M online: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/NEW_M

AFAIK Unicomp bought the rights to the key design but unfortunately they missed the fact that it's just as much the quality that made this keyboard the legend it is.

From what I've read the money are better spent on a used original IBM (or Lexmark) model M.

8 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

https://www.clickykeyboards.com Has new and restored IBM keyboards from 25-30 years ago.

Nice!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

These don't, but the girls do. "Frauenpower" as we say in Denglish.

(Hm, not sure whether this is sexist. If it is: Sorry ladies this is meant to be a joke.)

As long as we have power, all is good :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, malobo said:

Great!!!! That was exactly !!! Thank you!!!

Just curious, what kind of improvement did you see?

I'm also suspicious that LiveBindings is not the real cause of your problems. Like Dalia said, 10-12 seconds is a very long time. I run on similar hardware to you, although inside VMs which I give only 2 cores and a max of 8GB of RAM. Even with those constraints it would never take more than 2-3 seconds to load even my largest of forms and I haven't disabled LiveBindings.

17 hours ago, Dany Marmur said:

Definitely no barbies. None whatsoever.

You have just insulted all otaku's down to the deep of the heart xD kawaii manga girls have nothing common with that synthetic model of a human xD

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

@Fr0sT.Brutal, in that case, my sincere apologies!

I want to express my gratitude for pointing out such ignorance.

I want the whole world to know that i was utterly unaware of the grave rights-issues that follow such ignorance as my own.

Luckily i'm not a politician, had i been i would have blamed my poor eyesight and my too small laptop screen.

Thanks!