Sign in to follow this  
Henry Olive

Pos

I wish everyone a healthy day.

MyStr :='Lorem Ipsum   ';

I want to delete ALL empty/blank strings end of MyStr

( I dont know MyStr has how many empty strings )

Required Result :='Lorem Ipsum'

Thank You

ofc, the naming of TrimRight is a bit of a slap in the face for Arabic speakers and other RTL languages!!! 

Should really be TrimEnd and TrimBeginning or something like that... 

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Heffernan said:

ofc, the naming of TrimRight is a bit of a slap in the face for Arabic speakers and other RTL languages!!! 

Android API moved from such ambiguous methods and properties named left/right to start/end so following that rule it would be TrimEnd and TrimStart 

3 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

TrimEnd and TrimStart 

I think start should pair with finish, begin pairs with end, from pairs with to, etc. Don't really like start paired with end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

I think start should pair with finish, begin pairs with end, from pairs with to, etc. Don't really like start paired with end. 

Interesting...  as non native English speaker, I guess I don't immediately see the difference. Above pairing generally makes sense.

In this case, from my perspective TrimBeginning is extremely awkward to write.

25 minutes ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Interesting...  as non native English speaker, I guess I don't immediately see the difference. Above pairing generally makes sense.

Start goes with finish, begin goes with end for nouns at least. For verbs start and stop are pairs. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

as non native English speaker

By the way -I bought your new book, and found it very well written.  The writing style is probably the best (or one of the best) of all the Delphi technical writers whose book I've read.  Last time I found such a good technical writer was Delphi in a Nutshell by Ray Lischner .  I look forward to more of your books - or maybe you might want to update the Memory Management book considering now Delphi has a uniform memory manager?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wuwuxin said:

By the way -I bought your new book, and found it very well written.  The writing style is probably the best (or one of the best) of all the Delphi technical writers whose book I've read.  Last time I found such a good technical writer was Delphi in a Nutshell by Ray Lischner .  I look forward to more of your books -

Thanks! That means a lot 🙂

7 hours ago, wuwuxin said:

or maybe you might want to update the Memory Management book considering now Delphi has a uniform memory manager?

Since books covers both classic and ARC compilers, unifying memory management does not have huge impact on the book content. Only DisposeOf chapter and few references to mobile (previously ARC) compiler when it comes to reference counting for object references no longer apply. 

New mobile compilers now behave exactly like classic compiler, and memory management for that one hasn't changed. 

Eventually, there will be some book update, but not for now. There is not much going on in the memory management area that would warrant updating the book. 

14 hours ago, Dalija Prasnikar said:

Nothing will beat IncludeTrailingPathDelimiter

15 minutes ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

🙂 Fortunately it is usually enough to type "incl", press Ctrl+space, arrow down, enter.

2 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Dont get your point, there is AutoCompletion :classic_biggrin:

I think thats much better to have speaking names than some like AK, DoIt, Run, InTrlPaDel, aThng, ....

(I don't care much about the grammar).

And since LSP, we can "AutoComplete" within terms too, above you can find by "Inc", "Trail", "Path", "Del"

1 hour ago, Rollo62 said:

And since LSP, we can "AutoComplete" within terms too, above you can find by "Inc", "Trail", "Path", "Del"

LSP has nothing to do with that but the filter in the suggestion box. There were several plugins that could do that for ages.

11 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

LSP has nothing to do with that but the filter in the suggestion box. There were several plugins that could do that for ages.

Maybe so, but since LSP I recognize that this behaviour has changed to older versions.

Before it was able to filter only from beginning of terms, now it filters everywhere.

Anyway for what reason: Hooray its getting more usable :classic_cheerleader:

OTOH, some old-school C functions are another edge of insanity. itoa? strstr?? And the absolute winner - printf, fprintf, sprintf, snprintf, printf_s, fprintf_s, sprintf_s, snprintf_s, _sprintf_l, swprintf, _swprintf_l, __swprintf_l, sprintf_s, _sprintf_s_l, swprintf_s, _swprintf_s_l, _sprintf_p, _sprintf_p_l, _swprintf_p, _swprintf_p_l, vsprintf, _vsprintf_l, vswprintf, _vswprintf_l, __vswprintf_l, vsprintf_s, _vsprintf_s_l, vswprintf_s, _vswprintf_s_l, _vsprintf_p, _vsprintf_p_l, _vswprintf_p, _vswprintf_p_l, vsnprintf, _vsnprintf, _vsnprintf_l, _vsnwprintf, _vsnwprintf_l, vsnprintf_s, _vsnprintf_s, _vsnprintf_s_l, _vsnwprintf_s, _vsnwprintf_s_l, WTFPRINTF!!!

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal
  • Haha 2

Wasn't there also a series of aprintf which allocates the memory before doing the printf stuff? ;)

14 minutes ago, luebbe said:

Wasn't there also a series of aprintf which allocates the memory before doing the printf stuff? 😉

IDK and I don't dare to go further into that cave of madness %-) there be monsters!

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

Back to the original topic

On 4/25/2021 at 10:33 AM, David Heffernan said:

Funnily enough TrimStart and TrimEnd helper methods exist in TStringHelper, but were deprecated in favor of TrimLeft and TrimRight:

TStringHelper = record helper for string
  { ... }
  function TrimEnd(const TrimChars: array of Char): string; deprecated 'Use TrimRight';
  function TrimStart(const TrimChars: array of Char): string; deprecated 'Use TrimLeft';
  { ... }
end;

On 4/25/2021 at 3:42 AM, Henry Olive said:

I wish everyone a healthy day.

MyStr :='Lorem Ipsum   ';

I want to delete ALL empty/blank strings end of MyStr

( I dont know MyStr has how many empty strings )

Required Result :='Lorem Ipsum'

Thank You

Apart from TrimRight, there is also TrimLeft (trim spaces from left side) and Trim (trim spaces from both sides):

TrimLeft('  LoremIpsum') -> 'LoremIpsum'
Trim('  LoremIpsum  ')   -> 'LoremIpsum'

Just try to avoid using TrimLeft and TrimRight in combination like this:

s := TrimLeft(TrimRight('  LoremIpsum  ')); // or TrimRight(TrimLeft())

this is wasteful and unnecessary complicated. Just use Trim instead.