Sign in to follow this  
Vandrovnik

Android .aab - assets for Android32 missing

Hello,

In deployment manager, I have some files for Android32 and some other files for Android64.

When I create .apk for Android32, it contains all files that were set for this target.

Also .apk for Android64 contains all files that were set for it.

But when I create .aab (which contains 32 and 64 bits versions of the app) to publish on Google Play, it contains only assets files for Android64. Is it a bug, or a "feature"? When I add files for Android32 to Android64 too, it will probably work, but the download size will be bigger than necessary...

Kind regards,

Karel

@Vandrovnik

Are you talking about Rx10.4.2 ?

In the new versions only AAB can be produced, with all files in.

I also add deployment assets to 32 and 64 Bit too.

This makes the AAB bigger, that right, but thats only used to upload to the store.

With the bundletool.jar you can extract and re-package different APK's from this AAB.
Exactly that is doing PlayStore too with the AAB, so a user will only get his APK, to reduce transfer size.

There is also a "universal APK", which contains all different APK, which blows e.g. 40MB single APK to 160MB in total,

I'm not quite sure what this universal APK is used for, or how the devices pick their "special" APK, or maybe this is only for transfer all files in a single ZIP.

Edited by Rollo62

Yes, Delphi 10.4.2 Pro.

May be I am doing it wrong.

Let's say I have:

- file A for Android 32 - in deployment manager, it has two rows (Android - Release, Android - Debug).

- file B for Android 64 - in deployment manager, it has two rows (Android64 - Release, Android64 - Debug).

Now when I create .aab file for Release, Application store (with checked option "Generate Android 32-bit and 64-bit binaries), this .aab contains only file B.

So I have to place file A to deployment manager for Android 64 bit too (this was my mistake: I thought Delphi takes this file automatically). But I guess Google Play will never be able to recognize that this file A is for 32-bit Android only and will deliver it to all devices. And probably will also deliver file B to 32-bit devices...

Ehm, now I found out that in the column "Platforms" in deployment manager, I can select more values... But still do not know how to do it properly so that file A is included in .aab, but distributed to 32-bit devices only.

Edited by Vandrovnik

Well, I can select, that a file is for Android as well as for Android64. But when I do it, it is not stored in the .aab file at all...