Serge-Pilko

Desktop software cloud deployment options - which do we have?

Hi there! How can we deploy our classic desktop or client-server software to the cloud (it can be Delphi, Visual Studio/C+, or Java software, developed 5-10 years ago)? Which options do we have? What's the difference between cloud and well-known deployment to an on-premises server or datacenter VM? This video will be described the most popular options of deployment to the cloud, including Ms Azure and AWS (Amazon Web Services), discuss the pros and cons of each option. Which benefits we will have if we deploy our software "as is" or after re-engineering?

• Like 1

Videos are very cumbersome for me. Is there a write-up?

I mean scrollable readable text?

TIA!

/Dany

The question is good, an it is hard to answer.

First of all you need to define/create the architecture of the cloud model, to specify the services you need and how to interact with each other, to take care of load balancing and resource consumption.

When I migrated my desktop app to the cloud the first this I've done is splitting the functionalities of my app, not all but some (btw I use Amazon AWS and Digital Ocean, but not hard to do in in Azure too). Then create a cloud infrastructure model to chose the right cloud service to you app functionality, the best example here is the database and a rest api server. Also need to remember of security.

In the end I've came out with a simple desktop application (because some of functionalities are translated to cloud services) the connects to the cloud and is secure, load balanced, and works from anywhere in the world.

But, the easier and simple way is:

1. Buy a vps with needed OS
  2. Put you application in there
  3. And run it

15 hours ago, Ruslan said:

The question is good, an it is hard to answer.

First of all you need to define/create the architecture of the cloud model, to specify the services you need and how to interact with each other, to take care of load balancing and resource consumption.

When I migrated my desktop app to the cloud the first this I've done is splitting the functionalities of my app, not all but some (btw I use Amazon AWS and Digital Ocean, but not hard to do in in Azure too). Then create a cloud infrastructure model to chose the right cloud service to you app functionality, the best example here is the database and a rest api server. Also need to remember of security.

In the end I've came out with a simple desktop application (because some of functionalities are translated to cloud services) the connects to the cloud and is secure, load balanced, and works from anywhere in the world.

But, the easier and simple way is:

1. Buy a vps with needed OS
  2. Put you application in there
  3. And run it

Thank you for sharing your experience! I appreciate it.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:25 PM, Dany Marmur said:

Videos are very cumbersome for me. Is there a write-up?

I mean scrollable readable text?

TIA!

/Dany

Unfortunately, there is no script, but the video is short, perhaps you will find time to watch it)