Tommi Prami

Delphi and Azure DevOps?

Is anyone using it or planning on migration?

Don't know personally nothing about those (basically), but if anyone has info about that project and using would be nice to know.

"Tools" we use now on our internal Infra are:

1. SVN
  2. Jenkins
  3. Mantis

And most likely result would be

1. Azure DevOps
  2. GIT
  3. (Possibly Jenkins if makes sense, but maybe not)

-Tee-

We do have this combination at work. SCM is Git, client is written in Delphi, server is written in C#. Recently changed the process to use MSBuild to compile the Delphi project too.

Works like a charm.

One of my customers switched from SVN, Bugzilla, ContinuaCI to Azure DevOps with Git repositories. Only ContinuaCI has been kept - mostly because the switch to Azure Pipelines would have been a too large step for one move.

Depending on the range of support for Azure DevOps in the coming releases of ContinuaCI it may as well keep its place as the favored build system for a long time.

The switch from SVN to Git was more a mental problem for the developers than a conversion one for the repositories. We made a clear cut in the history and split the monolithic repository in several smaller ones. Common libraries are handled as submodules. 

Bugzilla tickets were (and still are) moved to Azure DevOps with a self written tool (in Delphi of course). We also use a keep only what is needed approach here and archive the remaining Bugzilla data in a few months or so.

The acceptance in the team after these changes is very positive. Things work much smoother as before and previously tedious tasks are either much easier or completely automated now.

Recently, I introduced a small company using Delphi, PHP and Java to the Atlassian cloud hosted products including Bit Bucket, Confluence and JIRA.

For CI I have deliberately stayed away from using cloud based Build Pipelines but use ContinuaCI/FinalBuilder on an AWS EC2 instance.

Similar to Uwe the biggest problem was changing over to Git/GitFlow and using peer review of Pull Requests before merging.

Changing habits of > 20 years.

I am hoping that future versions of ContinuaCI will integrate more tightly into Atlassian products. 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, David Champion said:

I am hoping that future versions of ContinuaCI will integrate more tightly into Atlassian products. 

What integration would you like to see. Not making any promises here but it's much easier to get things right if we know what customers want rather than guessing 😉

12 hours ago, Vincent Parrett said:

What integration would you like to see. Not making any promises here but it's much easier to get things right if we know what customers want rather than guessing 😉

The current solution is working really well for the Client, I am happy :-).

I can't be more specific I need to do more research but I made note to myself that I would investigate BitBucket custom Pipelines

https://bitbucket.org/blog/build-flexible-ci-cd-pipelines-with-custom-pipes.