FranzB

Love your competitor :-) ..... ?

I found this  post  here 

How popular is Pascal/Delphi in 2019

and did not  know this :

Microsoft also planted Delphi-countermeasures in its operating system to detect and randomly crash Delphi applications

with a  link .

https://www.quora.com/How-popular-is-Pascal-Delphi-in-2019-and-how-big-are-its-capabilities-compared-to-other-languages 

Is this still  true  in 2021  ?

Edited by FranzB
better title

Unofficial, programmers love Pascal/Delphi/Free Pascal/Lazarus-IDE, but Official, they never confess that use that technologies and they shame of that.

Pascal/Delphi programmer never put that information in CV that he love or use Pascal/Delphi.

Delphi/Pascal programmers shame of Delphi/Pascal, and put in CV that use Microsoft C#, Python, PHP or something cool and very popular today.

Wtf...?

Btw I never experienced random crashes of my applications, not one since Windows 2000. I mean of course I did, but all of them was the fault of my code, not the OS silently attempting to kill it. And I would be REALLY surprised if it was true (especially now since Embarcadero / Idera has MS links if I'm not mistaken).

Edited by aehimself
  • Like 1

Sounds like bullshit to me.  No random crashes that we didn't cause ourselves that I can remember, and I've used every Delphi version there is, on most of the Windows versions there has been.

• Like 5

lol. sounds like someone needed an excuse for their own bugs! I am sure Bill Gates never had time to do this, all his time was on creating the Covid Vaccine!

"Honestly, Guv`nor, my code is perfect, it must be Windows"

I am about to attach this as evidence to all my bugs so they can be closed.

• Haha 4

BS indeed.

Borland/Delphi was never any threat to Microsoft and certainly not to their Windows division. It would actually have been counter productive for the Windows division to sabotage any Windows application.

- and they didn't "steal" Anders Hejlsberg or hire him to hurt Borland. They wanted his talent and he went by his own choice and for his own reasons. Borland didn't own him and if they got hurt by his departure that was their own fault.

18 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

BS indeed.

Borland/Delphi was never any threat to Microsoft and certainly not to their Windows division. It would actually have been counter productive for the Windows division to sabotage any Windows application.

- and they didn't "steal" Anders Hejlsberg or hire him to hurt Borland. They wanted his talent and he went by his own choice and for his own reasons. Borland didn't own him and if they got hurt by his departure that was their own fault.

Borland filed a lawsuite against Microsoft at the time of Hejlsberg's departure though.

See https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB863034062733665000 

>Borland Charges Microsoft Stole Away Its Employees

11 hours ago, Leif Uneus said:

Borland filed a lawsuite against Microsoft at the time of Hejlsberg's departure though.

Anyone can file a lawsuit and if you have to resort to that in order to keep your employees then maybe the competitors isn't the problem you ought to focus on.

• Like 1

Heljsberg clearly made the right decision for his own career and I would argue that the world of programming is better for him having move to MS than it would have been had he not.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Anyone can file a lawsuit and if you have to resort to that in order to keep your employees then maybe the competitors isn't the problem you ought to focus on.

Thank. You.

30 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

I would argue that the world of programming is better for him having move to MS than it would have been had he not.

*cough* Visual J++ *cough* :classic_wink: