Hi,

I've upgrade a library to the new version, we usually import this library as Type Library (COM object) in Delphi (since "yesterday"). Now, in this new version the COM object are no longer supported, so I'm looking around.

image.png.3153ccd972fb5ce53960e0a22d822a6f.png

The new library support the C# .NET, C++ (unmanaged), C++ (managed) and C.

I know that I can use the C .dll with a Delphi wrapper but... Just out of curiosity I tried to import the .NET Assembly.

I never use the .NET Assembly before, and honestly I don't know very well what is the .NET Assembly.

I'm searching on google and I found some documentations, but before start reading I ask you if you know a good start point "Delphi and .NET Assembly".

Do you have experience with that?

After the import I get the wrapper with a lot of class/interface but they are all empty.

Eg:

// *********************************************************************//
// Interface: _HObject
// Flags:     (4432) Hidden Dual OleAutomation Dispatchable
// GUID:      {8E90512D-E586-352A-A70F-C7F1518E667D}
  _HObject = interface(IDispatch)
    ['{8E90512D-E586-352A-A70F-C7F1518E667D}']
  end;

// Interface: _HImage
// Flags:     (4432) Hidden Dual OleAutomation Dispatchable
// GUID:      {2D195846-332C-32E4-A6A3-8B089435BB54}
  _HImage = interface(IDispatch)
    ['{2D195846-332C-32E4-A6A3-8B089435BB54}']
  end;

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Thank you, as always, for your time.

Edited by Davide Visconti

Very hard to see anything useful coming from this. Can't imagine any way for Delphi to directly consume a managed assembly other than COM. 

I'd consider making your own COM wrapper of the assembly, using C#, or writing a Delphi wrapper around the C interface. 

3 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Very hard to see anything useful coming from this. Can't imagine any way for Delphi to directly consume a managed assembly other than COM. 

I'd consider making your own COM wrapper of the assembly, using C#, or writing a Delphi wrapper around the C interface. 

Thanks David, if I have to write a wrapper in C# to expose the COM.... I definitely prefer write a Delphi wrapper over C dll, that's what usually we do (.h --> .pas).

Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

I know this thing is more than 4 years old but it is really interesting for me. It seems this is about using the Halcon image library by MVTec with Delphi. If anyone has a solution how to use the latest halcon version with Delphi please contact me. Thank you!

19 hours ago, DelphiUdIT said:

This is all that you need to work for the Halcon 22.11 Steady and Delphi.

Hope this help you.

Bye

HalconC_2211.pas

Thank you very much for that quick reply on my call for help regarding using Halcon with Delphi. Are you using this method yourself? I see that it seems to be easy to use the calls to the Halcon C-library. The only thing I wonder about is how to create some output of images and regions? Or how about drawing regions? I am using Halcon 20.11 steady now, which is the last Halcon Version that had (inofficial) support for the COM interface and we had a component named HWinXCtrl for that.

14 minutes ago, MatthiasPeters said:

Thank you very much for that quick reply on my call for help regarding using Halcon with Delphi. Are you using this method yourself? I see that it seems to be easy to use the calls to the Halcon C-library. The only thing I wonder about is how to create some output of images and regions? Or how about drawing regions? I am using Halcon 20.11 steady now, which is the last Halcon Version that had (inofficial) support for the COM interface and we had a component named HWinXCtrl for that.

I knew that Halcon informally supported COM up to version 18.05. After that, COM support was dropped entirely. I think that you can use COM with 20.11 only for the old functions. But that doesn't matter, since they decided to remove COM support anyway and therefore it was still necessary to switch to something else.

Meanwhile, I'm attaching the wrapper for 20.11 Steady (which is the penultimate version), then I'm attaching an example for 20.11 to use the wrapper similarly to how you now use COM.

I'll give you the example with a THREAD, which is the best way to use Halcon.

HalconC_2011.pas

Bye

Edited by DelphiUdIT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that is really impressive. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I hope we can use this to upgrade our software to Halcon 22.11 steady. One more question: did you create the HalconC_2011.pas and HalconC_2211.pas fully automatically with this tool

https://github.com/neslib/Chet

or did you make some manual adjustments to the file?

Btw: indeed the com interface for Halcon 20.11 was not made public officially but MVTec generously created a special version for us - however they said it would be the last one....

Edited by MatthiasPeters

9 minutes ago, MatthiasPeters said:

Wow, that is really impressing. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I hope we can use this to upgrade our software to Halcon 22.11 steady. One more question: did you create the HalconC_2011.pas and HalconC_2211.pas fully automatically with this tool

https://github.com/neslib/Chet

or did you make some manual adjustments to the file?

I used that tool, but to use it i had modified the include file (.h) of Halcon and after that i had manually adjust the pas file results of Chet.

Some manually works, every 3 years :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Have you created some bigger projects with this yet? No problem with memory leaks so far? A while ago I made an attempt with this tool:

https://www.crystalnet-tech.com/RuntimeLibrary/RuntimeLibrary4Delphi

to get the .net assembly working in Delphi. It worked somehow but there were big problems with memory holes. There have been some updates to that software in the meantime but I could not find the time yet to make another try.

This is not an interface with .net assembly. It's a wrapper around C library. This will use the HalconC.dll.

Nothing to do with .Net.

And Yes i created lot of projects, may be not very big but most of them use 20 and more thread like that in the examples (of course with more and more functions inside) with Halcon.

I don't have memory leak, but you must care to "clear" every single hobject that you use, before use it (not need if you are sure that is nil). If you reuse an object without clear it and it's already in use you will "lost" the memory (means LEAKS).

Also, the wrapper don't has any know about macro, so you cannot use Halcon macro in Delphi. But this was never a problem for me.

Bye

Edited by DelphiUdIT

I know that my .net approach was a different thing. Still it is about the same goal: using the latest Halcon versions with Delphi.

We were about to give up and start rewriting a very big software project in C# or C++ because we thought there would be no clean way to continue with Delphi. I'm so glad you proved me wrong. I hope I'll find the time in the next days to work with your sample projects a little. What I'd like to test is for example if the "draw" procedures (like " T_draw_rectangle1 " for example) work as well. We need those so that the user can define a ROI (Region Of Interest).

You wrote:

<quote> I used that tool, but to use it i had modified the include file (.h) of Halcon and after that i had manually adjust the pas file results of Chet. </quote>

can you tell me more about what kind of adjustements were necessary in the created pas file?

Thanks!

It's a bit complex to explain, however I try.

First, to use CHET you have to put all the includes you need into one directory, and then you have to change the definition in the individual file references, which originally point to subdirectories.

Second, unlike C, where you can declare variables or definitions anywhere and even out of order, in the wrapper, declarations must be "ordered" (ie first you declare something, then you use it).

So you have to take the generated .pas and move several declaration blocks at the head of the wrapper (or between various other declarations).

It's not very complex, it just takes a little patience and taking into account that I do it every three years or so, everything is manageable.

Another good thing is that once you've done it, you can use tools like Beyond Compare to help you: between the various versions of Halcon there are no abysmal differences, so much so that normally you just need to recompile the projects (or at least change some variables) to port to the new version.

In updates between versions (for example between 20.11.01 and 20.11.03) there are no changes in the includes (unless it is explicitly highlighted in the notes) and therefore there is no need to change the wrapper.

I normally use the Draw_Rectangle and similar functions without problems.

If you want advice, when you can use the functions without the T_ as they use normal variables and not tuples.

var ro1, co1, ro2, co2: double;
//SomeWhere should be decalre "fWindowHandle: HLong;" and should be assigned of course

Draw_Rectangle1(fWindowHandle, @ro1, @co1, @ro2, @co2);

//and you can use of course also the _mod function .....

Bye

P.S.: Beware of one "thing": when a function returns multiple elements (for example a list of points), it MUST be used in the form "T_" i.e. with tuples, unless it is certain that only one value is returned, such as example when preceded by the SelectObj function.

Edited by DelphiUdIT

Hi all,

I'm also interested in the Halcon connection in Delphi. I want to try to convert all Halcon libraries with CHET. Now many other standard libraries are used. Like windows.h and stdint.h...
You've probably already made this adjustment. Can you upload your directory "C:\Programs\MVTec\HALCON-20.11-Steady\include" or 22.11 to compare with the original?

2023-06-12_13-53-12.jpg

28 minutes ago, BorisRurenko said:

Hi all,

I'm also interested in the Halcon connection in Delphi. I want to try to convert all Halcon libraries with CHET. Now many other standard libraries are used. Like windows.h and stdint.h...
You've probably already made this adjustment. Can you upload your directory "C:\Programs\MVTec\HALCON-20.11-Steady\include" or 22.11 to compare with the original?

Hello, with CHET you don't have do include nothing. It works on LLVM and this should be available in your system. A community edition of Visual Studio is typically necessary for this. Read the instructions for CHET.

I cannot share the include file, 'cause they are not redistributable, but like i told in previous post you have to copy the .h files of halcon in one directory and go on. Some errors will be exposed because some files exposed a subdir path, change this and all will be done.

Again, some functions refer to a wrong dll and you must change this in the wrapper (.pas file), but in my previous attachment you can see that.

PS.: all Halcon libraries are converted in the wrappers that I posted. But in the wrapper that are only declarations, no code inside of course.

Bye

image.thumb.png.fd0f13e50f3fab43a5d7cb1f480ef640.png

Edited by DelphiUdIT
  • Thanks 1