Baron Software

TurboDB 6 VCL anyone using ?

I was wondering if anyone has used the database product from Dataweb, TurboDB 6 VCL, it seems to work pretty well with the trial version but i was wondering if anyone has had time to developed an application with it.  I usually like to get some feedback from folks that have gone thru a cycle using a product.

I have never used that database. On the other hand, you can check its features from here

I would see if there will ever be a need to insert more than 2 billion rows in a single table as this is seemingly the hard limit on that database.

As for an embedded database, I would rather use SQlite3 or even FireBird, which has an embedded version.

They are OpenSource, cross-platform, well maintained and have high feature set.

Edited by Arnaud Bouchez
  • Like 1

The only reason for a desktop db like TurobDB was the independancy from the database access ability of the vcl. Now with all versions of Delphi having a db aware RTL/VCL FireBird embedded/SQLite/MSSQL compact/... are the better solutions (imho).

I want to make it clear, i was looking into a VCL database is for single user application package, i could go with a MDB but i have noticed with TurboDB the ease of setting up and speed is pretty good.  For any large clients i tend to go with MS SQL / MYSQL / Oracle,

TurboDB can work with up to 5 users on a single file which for a small shop is fine and i could do something similar with a MDB.  

With the embedded Firebird version is there a particular link that contains information about it ?  And if i wanted to make it a multi-user do i need to set up the Firebird server ?

Up to version 2.5 FireBird embedded was a special Client containing a "server" inside (insteat of the code of a local protocol linking to a server being installed on tzhe same machine.

Since version 3 is a merged with the standard distribution.

http://www.ibphoenix.com/files/Embedded_fb3.pdf

And if i wanted to make it a multi-user do i need to set up the Firebird server ?

For versions < 3 you only have to install the server. Since version 3 you only have to change the config and "install" service/deamon.