Daniel

Welcome to the English speaking Delphi-PRAXiS

7 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Bad connection in the outback? 😄

Outback :classic_biggrin: Hardly, I'm in Canberra, the capital city. I have a 95Mbit connection at home, 70Mbit at work. (both vdsl2). The problem is not my connection, it's the distance/latency. 

Pinging en.delphipraxis.net [138.201.18.17] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 138.201.18.17: bytes=32 time=331ms TTL=52
Reply from 138.201.18.17: bytes=32 time=355ms TTL=51
Reply from 138.201.18.17: bytes=32 time=330ms TTL=52
Reply from 138.201.18.17: bytes=32 time=331ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 138.201.18.17:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 330ms, Maximum = 355ms, Average = 336ms

The issue isn't helped by the number of requests per page load :

delphipraxis.png.edfe37c096b3e2415915acabe5f24b2c.png

When latency is high it has a snowball effect on page loads. There also doesn't appear to be any caching of images, js or css (no caching response headers) for files that all have what appears to be cache busting filenames (so cache invalidation would not be a problem). There's a lot of scope for improving the performance, but sadly I can't move any closer to the server!

Just to provide a contrast performance wise, my forums which run on a self hosted (in LA) Discourse instance (ubuntu server 18.04 - 2 virtual cores, 2G ram)  - granted I don't have anywhere near the the number of active users  but the point is the forum software implementation :

First page load

discoursefirstpage.png.272a55b90902a3289b4cdfe9399f7138.png

Second Page Load  (it feels almost instant). 

Discoursesecondpage.thumb.png.c02925e12265f532d754ddd8d5308463.png

Ignore the poll request, that's just a websocket long polling request running in the background for notifications.

If you look at the response headers for the requests you will see it marks the images etc as cachable. 

32 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

@Vincent Parrett For me everything is cached, I've 19.2KB traffic on refreshing the page.

Not sure what's going on, just tried it again from work (was at home before) and it is loading a lot less on the second page load. It's a slow user experience though. 

Another transfuge of the G+ Delphi Developers  Community here. Thanks to hosting us! :classic_tongue:

Thanks Lars for arranging this but I really miss G+ already!  It was easy to read, well laid out and easy to pick up from day to day. This forum is nice but I find myself not reading through it anymore and as a result missing a lot of good info, a pity though. Problem with these forum designs are that it takes up a lot of real estate of "nothing" (all the white spaces, borders and repeated panels and headers). I preferred the way G+ did the reply/comment on a topic.

Anyway...will probably get use to it.

What are you missing? If the "all activity" stream is to "loudy" you can build your own only includes what your're interested.

I'm not sure this is the right place for feature requests, but here goes:

A: hide signature lines

Would it be possible to have the option to hide signature lines? I find them to be such a distraction.

Of course it would be even better IMO if signature lines were not allowed at all, but at least the option to hide them would help a lot.

Just found the "hide all signatures" option at https://en.delphipraxis.net/settings/signature/

B: inline code

I would really like to be able to have inline code in a line. A `monospace` button (in addition to bold, italic, etc would do the trick nicely.

C: Disable animating emoji 

Animation of any kind just sucks, enough said.

D: position replies indented relative to the original post

If I reply to a post, then that post just goes to the bottom. I can quote part or all of it, but that's a bit of a

waste as it just repeats the content, which is often (not always) just noise. It would be great to have a threaded view

where replies are underneigh the original post and indented (with a stop if the nesting gets too deep).

Overall the forum works kind of nice, it does take up a **lot** of space relative to G+, but it works smooth enough.

Thanks for making this available on such sort notice.

type
  TX = record
  private
    class var x: integer;
  private
    Fdata: integer;
  public
    class operator Add(a,b: TX): TX;
  end;

I love how the code formatter knows about post-1980 language features, unlike the one stackoverflow uses.

Edited by Johan Bontes

Thanks Daniel! I was hoping for this move for a long time, ever since the original Borland forums 🙂 Still, I still miss my newsreader access. Notifications or no notifications 😉