Sign in to follow this  
nozz

Watch list, inaccessible value

Hey, I've got a problem where watch list fails to evaluate things like

Self.ClassName
Self.ClassType

It just returns inaccessible value despite a valid object reference, if I use the Evaluate/Modify window instead of the watch list it works just fine.

I've also experienced other problems like not being able to inspect a TRect record passed as function parameter ( IDE says symbol eliminated by linker, despite it being used in the body of the function).

I have optimization turned off, I've also deleted all .dcu files and rebuilt the project several times over. Nothing seem to work.

What gives? I think this happened to me before and I had to rebuild .dproj from scratch but not sure, I will try that as last resort.

Edited by nozz

Double-click on the watch-list item and check "Allow side effects and function calls"

or assign "self" to a local variable for debugging.

Edited by Attila Kovacs
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that fixed it, I feel stupid now. I don't know when exactly I managed to turn that option off ...

37 minutes ago, nozz said:

Thanks, that fixed it, I feel stupid now. I don't know when exactly I managed to turn that option off ...

It's off by default. I'm not sure whether it is even possible to change that default.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

It's off by default. I'm not sure whether it is even possible to change that default.

Correct. I got a bit confused, Usually I had no problem using watch list but I remember now that was because I would often have a local variable capturing the value, so that tripped me off :classic_rolleyes: