mikerabat

SysUtils, AnsiString

Hi!

I'm currently migrating our projects from Delphi2010 to Delphi 10.4. One of my biggest

changes is actually using StrLCopy and other Ansistring functions that used to be in SysUtils.

They are now marked as deprecated and moved to System.AnsiStrings so ... I followed the compiler hint.

Now the base problem is that the compiler is confused which function to use so I always prefix the call

with

System.AnsiStrings.StrLCopy ...

which fixed that.

But that looks actually very "ugly" and I have the feeling that this is not the way to go idera ment to go.

Is there a "best" or anticipated way to handle this?

kind regards

Mike

You could create your own function MyStrLCopy() which simply call the original one. If you make it inline, then it will be as fast.

16 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Yes, ditch AnsiString.

haha...

I'd love to but I have file and communication structures that need good old ansi strings.

Or do you actually have a better idea than:
str8 := UTF8String(SurName);
System.AnsiStrings.StrLCopy(@patData.surname[0],PAnsiChar(str8), length(patData.surname));

to bring a normal delphi string (SurName) to a structure (patData) that contains single byte characters?

1 hour ago, mikerabat said:

bring a normal delphi string (SurName) to a structure (patData) that contains single byte characters?

TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes

1 hour ago, mikerabat said:

I have file and communication structures that need good old ansi strings.

You don't need to use AnsiString.

Edited by David Heffernan

4 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes

You don't need to use AnsiString.

You mean I don't need AnsiCharacters to communicate with a device that only understands Single Byte characters?

So... how is that?

And tell me then how to use GetBytes to fill a structure like:

type

TPatData = packed record

SurName : Array[0..31] of AnsiChar;

FirstName : Array[0..31] of AnsiChar;

end;

var pat : TPatData;

formSurName : String;

begin

FillChar(pat, sizeof(pat), 0);

// code to be filled here....

end;

9 minutes ago, mikerabat said:

You mean I don't need AnsiCharacters to communicate with a device that only understands Single Byte characters?

So... how is that?

TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes

23 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes

Sorry but can you elaborate that? I actually cannot see how I get there a string converted to a field in the record...

what am I missing here?

That returns a UTF-8 encoded byte array which you can copy into your record. Are you familiar with TEncoding, it's a somewhat import tool for text encodings?

9 hours ago, mikerabat said:

Sorry but can you elaborate that? I actually cannot see how I get there a string converted to a field in the record...

what am I missing here?

The main problem with TEncoding.GetBytes() is that its 'public' overloads all require the output to be a TBytes array, which you would then have to copy into your record afterwards, eg:

var
  patData : TPatData;
  SurName : String;
  Bytes: TBytes;
begin
  FillChar(@patData, sizeof(patData), 0);
  SurName := ...;
  Bytes := TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes(SurName);
  Move(PBytes(Bytes)^, patData.SurName[0], Math.Min(SizeOf(patData.SurName), Length(Bytes)));
end;

The one overload of GetBytes() that would actually let you output directly into your record without using TBytes is declared as 'strict protected', which means you can't use it without involving some hacks, eg:

type
  TEncodingHelper = class(TEncoding)
  public
    function GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PBytes; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
  end;

function TEncodingHelper.GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PBytes; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
begin
  Result := GetBytes(PChar(S), Length(S), Bytes, ByteCount);
end;

var
begin
  TEncodingHelper(TEncoding.UTF8).GetBytes(S, PByte(@patData.SurName[0]), SizeOf(patData.SurName));
end;

Or:

type
  TEncodingHelper = class helper for TEncoding
  public
    function GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PByte; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
  end;

function TEncodingHelper.GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PByte; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
begin
  Result := Self.GetBytes(PChar(S), Length(S), Bytes, ByteCount);
end;

var
begin
  TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes(S, PByte(@patData.SurName[0]), SizeOf(patData.SurName));
end;

The alternative would be to use System.LocaleCharsFromUnicode() instead, eg:

var
begin
  LocaleCharsFromUnicode(CP_UTF8, 0, PChar(SurName), Length(SurName), @patData.SurName[0], sizeof(patData.SurName), nil, nil);
end;

Edited by Remy Lebeau

57 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

... The one overload of GetBytes() that would actually let you output directly into your record without using TBytes is declared as 'strict protected', ...

It sounds like a Muprhy's Law: the most useful methods are usualy declared as private.

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

The main problem with TEncoding.GetBytes() is that its 'public' overloads all require the output to be a TBytes array, which you would then have to copy into your record afterwards, eg:

var
  Bytes: TBytes;
begin
  Bytes := TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes(SurName);
  Move(PBytes(Bytes)^, patData.SurName[0], Math.Min(SizeOf(patData.SurName), Length(Bytes)));
end;

The one overload of GetBytes() that would actually let you output directly into your record without using TBytes is declared as 'strict protected', which means you can't use it without involving some hacks, eg:

type
  TEncodingHelper = class(TEncoding)
  public
    function GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PBytes; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
  end;

function TEncodingHelper.GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PBytes; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
begin
  Result := GetBytes(PChar(S), Length(S), Bytes, ByteCount);
end;

var
begin
  TEncodingHelper(TEncoding.UTF8).GetBytes(S, PByte(@patData.SurName[0]), SizeOf(patData.SurName));
end;

Or:

type
  TEncodingHelper = class helper for TEncoding
  public
    function GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PByte; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
  end;

function TEncodingHelper.GetBytes(const S: string; Bytes: PByte; ByteCount: Integer): Integer;
begin
  Result := Self.GetBytes(PChar(S), Length(S), Bytes, ByteCount);
end;

var
begin
  TEncoding.UTF8.GetBytes(S, PByte(@patData.SurName[0]), SizeOf(patData.SurName));
end;

The alternative would be to use System.LocaleCharsFromUnicode() instead, eg:

var
begin
  LocaleCharsFromUnicode(CP_UTF8, 0, PChar(SurName), Length(SurName), @patData.SurName[0], sizeof(patData.SurName), nil, nil);
end;

Thank you very much much for the great insight!

For a long time ago (it is not the beginning of a fairy tale :classic_biggrin: ) I have been working with communication systems of various types and when I started to collide with unicode (and the various problems at the time), I started using Indy utilities for data management (even if not necessarily coming from Indy components).
In particular, I was more than happy with the utilities and definitions in IdGlobal:
TIdBytes, RawToBytes, BytesTo ...... (there is also BytesToString).
Until now they have always taken me out of any hindrance in handling byte data.

I hope I was helpful.

Greetings

34 minutes ago, DelphiUdIT said:

In particular, I was more than happy with the utilities and definitions in IdGlobal:
TIdBytes, RawToBytes, BytesTo ...... (there is also BytesToString).

In that regard, Indy's IIdTextEncoding interface has a public GetBytes() method that would be useful in this example, eg:

uses
  ..., IdGlobal;

var
begin
  IndyTextEncoding_UTF8.GetBytes(PChar(SurName), Length(SurName), PByte(@patData.SurName[0]), SizeOf(patData.SurName));
end;

Edited by Remy Lebeau