PeterPanettone

Delphi compatibility with Windows 11?

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

But, yeah... there are still remnants from 7 in there.

I bet if we look hard enough, we will find remnants from pretty much any old Windows version in there.

I also bet that it still comes with the driver for the obsolete "Microsoft Ballpoint Mouse" and automatically installs it when a GPS is attached via a USB serial adapter. An annoyance which I had to put up with since Windows XP.

5 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Annoyingly, the Windows 11 GUI doesn't show rounded corners in my VM.

What Virtual Machinery brand do you use?

For those rounded corners you need 3d acceleration (go figure...). Virtualbox has that, but you need the registry hack to install 11.

Anyway, the non-consistent look is a direct result of the unwillingness of MS to provide modern controls accessible to every programming language (aka flat C API). We even have fake titlebars to accomplish buttons etc in there which all look different (compare the sizes of the close and minimize buttons in Office, Chrome, Firefox, Explorer, Notepad...) and the win32 api can't even get its correct position and sizes. Heck many old  win32 gui code needs adjustments for those fancy things. The UWP app mix of window handles are a mess, depending on state (shown, minimized) and virtual desktop location. DPI handling is a mess and that API changed too many times and depends too much on developer involvement. Apple did it better and way more consistent and doesn't feel the need to change its GUI needlessly repeatedly.

• Like 2

On the topic of VMs - I wonder how well Windows 11 for ARM will be running under Parallels and if it can run x86 and x64 code.

51 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

On the topic of VMs - I wonder how well Windows 11 for ARM will be running under Parallels and if it can run x86 and x64 code.

That is an interesting question.

Judging from what I read, it seems that x86 runs fine, but x64 is still work in progress on MS side.  W11 for ARM still is in preview state.

I'll be able to answer this for myself, around Xmas 🙂

Did youcheck at Advanced System Settings ?

See screen shots, sorry dutch and win10, but same settings exists on Win11,

advsyssettings.png

1 hour ago, Lars Fosdal said:

The settings look very different on Windows 11.
Some of them are not  enabled for RDP.

You can change them, i have here at work not the availabitity over Win11 (real or VM). 

I split off the very recent semi on topic question to form its own thread to here: