Henry Olive

Vcl to Fmx

I wish everyone a healthy day

I'm planning to start a Fmx database app. ( i already have a database Vcl app., i'll just convert it to Fmx)

I saw there are 2 grids (Grid,String Grid)  in Fmx, which one should i use instead of my vcl dbgrid ?

Also is there any advice information anywhere in web regarding from Vcl to Fmx ? 

Thank You

For converting VCL to FireMonkey, the only tool I know if is Mida Converter. Disclaimer: I have not used it myself, so don't know how well it works.

I don't use grids as often in mobile apps as I do in desktop apps, which is mostly what I use FireMonkey for so far, but I've had good success hooking up TGrid to datasets with LiveBindings.

Mida does most of the work but a lot of controls won't migrate. But at least you will have a pretty good skeleton which keeps most controls with their associated names and Events, but it's far from being perfect. If you VCL forms are very complex, I think you'd better off starting from fresh with an FMX clean form: that also could be a good opportunity to re-think your forms and GUI. That's where two screens come handy: VCL on the left, FMX on the right 🙂 

Now, for DBGrids, they don't exist in FMX so you should put a grid or stringgrid depending on what you display and then link it to data using LiveBindings.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:52 PM, Henry Olive said:

I saw there are 2 grids (Grid,String Grid)  in Fmx, which one should i use instead of my vcl dbgrid ? 

My preference goes to Grid rather than StringGrid, but I prefer a ListView 

22 hours ago, sjordi said:

If you VCL forms are very complex, I think you'd better off starting from fresh with an FMX clean form: that also could be a good opportunity to re-think your forms and GUI.

Agree sjordi, VCL components are poor if you compare. i.e a VCL app use Tpanel,  a FMX app will use Layout or TRectangle  

Sorry for HIJACK this topic. I just buy mida and have 3 days waiting a license , registered in the forum and waiting confirmation mail. Is this dead? Theres some MIFA customer here to ask in the forum wp? Best regards

I purchased MIDA some time ago, it did what it had to do. Unfortunately it stopped working because the tool contacts a registration server at startup and this server has been down for a long time now (I think more than 2 years). I could never reach the developer/company behind MIDA.

There is another tool that can help out though: INNOVA Solutions - Delphi Code Converter - VCL Form to FireMonkey FMX Form

Sorry for bringing the bad news.

Edited by Keesver

Seriously, at this time all alarm bells should be going off, when entering the MIDA Converter site: No Certificate, no Imprint, last forum entry was April 2019. This is no place to buy anything from right now. Try to get your bank to cancel the money transfer.