darnocian

FMX on ios shows annoying messages about pasting in editable controls.

I was just testing an fmx app on ios and noticed that when editing in a tedit, I keep on getting little notifications at the top of the device '<app>pasted from <device>' every time I enter any character.

I expected that notification to only happen when pasting from other apps on the device, not from the current one and not for every single keypress.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I have that a lot too, but I face it in several 3rd party apps, not only delphi-written ones

I think it's actually more on the iOS side that the problem stands. It's very intrusive and bothering.

It's probably linked to handoff between Apple devices and one can't expect the iOS users to turn it off

It's very unfortunate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjordi said:

It's probably linked to handoff between Apple devices and one can't expect the iOS users to turn it off

Well, i don't know about that but i remember i saw many articles a year ago mentioning some suspicious behaviour from all kinds of apps violating privacy and reading clipboard for unknown and unexplained reason.

I searched now for published articles after Apple made its iOS preview version with this behaviour, but found only one

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/06/tiktok-and-53-other-ios-apps-still-snoop-your-sensitive-clipboard-data/

I remember Twitter and Facebook were mentioned also, but not in the above link.

Anyway, i completely agree with such behaviour and like to see it in every device including Android and even Windows it will be nice optional security feature to know who is doing what.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the benefit of the feature... but I would expect it to only happen when actually pasting from the clipboard - not while typing keys... 

I'll try knock something together with XCode to see what a standard input control like a UITextField would do as comparison... maybe there is something in FMX doing something it should have to.

Will keep you posted.

5 hours ago, darnocian said:

I would expect it to only happen when actually pasting from the clipboard - not while typing keys

Do you have a minimal reproducible example?

4 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

Do you have a minimal reproducible example?

@Dave Nottage I think that I mentioned this to you when you were testing Memorizer...

I doubt that we can do anything about it as it seems to be iOS core behavior.

Actually, I just created a minimal version now with just a TEdit on it - and I didn't get the behaviour. I should have done this initially. 😉

Edited by darnocian

I replicated the issue. I thought I was going mad. As per @sjordi opinion, it probably is just an iOS issue..

To reproduce:

I switched to chrome and just copied the URL... switched back to the app, and then you can see the result as I'm typing:

1477744364_2021-07-29_11-18-47(2).thumb.gif.7734b10f7b98e28b7f8f43bea65b2012.gif

• Like 1

the only way to get around it appears to be by explicitly setting the clipboard content in the current app (programatically or by the user copying something in the app), but switching between apps will result in the problem occurring again. 

I'm not sure if there is a workaround without Apple being involved - I suspect all we can do is inform users if this becomes annoying.

I did not have that for each character but each time I was entering an editable field.