PeterPanettone

No StringHelper for saving to file?

I couldn't believe it: Embarcadero's System.SysUtils.TStringHelper in 2021 still does not have a method to save the string to a file! :classic_sad:

It would be so nice to be able to write: MyString.SaveToFile(AFilePath); :classic_tongue:

4 minutes ago, David Schwartz said:

Well, there are a few ways to do that, and all just take a few lines of code.

That is correct - but I LOVE string helpers. :classic_love:

• Like 1

Saving to file has nothing to do with the string itself. What's next, myString.SendOverNetworkByUDP(..)?

You have TFile.WriteAllText(filePath, fileContent) from System.IoUtils, that should be enough for everybody 😉

Edited by Der schöne Günther
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

I couldn't believe it: Embarcadero's System.SysUtils.TStringHelper in 2021 still does not have a method to save the string to a file! :classic_sad:

Why should it?  Do you know ANY framework where a basic string type has such a method?

13 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

What's next

Maybe: MyString.ToBitCoin? That would make Delphi developers RICH!

• Haha 3

On 8/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

Do you know ANY framework where a basic string type has such a method?

Yes: Delphi. TStringList (which could be indirectly classified as a basic string type although it is a collection of strings) has a SaveToFile method. So why shouldn't string also have a SaveToFile helper method?

49 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

TStringList (which could be indirectly classified as a basic string type although it is a collection of strings)

No, TStringList is not a basic string type. 

56 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

TStringList (which could be indirectly classified as a basic string type although it is a collection of strings)

No, it is a collection of strings.  It is not itself a string.  Period.  A basic string type would be just a sequence of characters, maybe a length, encoding, etc but certainly not more than that.

So why shouldn't string also have a SaveToFile helper method?

Because it simply doesn't make sense for something like that to exist, since 99% of people won't be using it.  It is a waste of coding, when the same task is easily accomplished using other readily-available code.  So, I repeat my earlier question again.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

2 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

That's what I said.

The question was which framework has methods on a basic string type for loading and saving to file. A collection of strings is not a basic string type. 

On 8/13/2021 at 10:52 PM, PeterPanettone said:

That's what I said.

"TStringList (which could be indirectly classified as a basic string type although it is a collection of strings)"

A "collection of strings" and a single "basic string type" are two completely different concepts.

Edited by Remy Lebeau