David Schwartz

IDE locks up on Debug instpectors

D10.4.2:

I've been getting a lot of instances lately with the IDE locking up when I opened a Debug Inspector window and tried to adjust the divider after making the window wider.

All I can do is kill Delphi then restart it.

It's not what I would call "reproducible" although it does sometimes happen repeatedly on the same variable a few times.

• Sad 1

Hi David,

Did you ever end up getting this resolved. I've been having the exact same issues - driving me crazy. CPU goes through the roof - IDE is obviously caught in a loop somewhere, but I haven't been able to find out why or resolve it and was hoping that you had some success.  Delphi 10.4.2 as well. For me it happens when I have components selected on a form. I don't seem to have the problem when in the coding window - it seems to be related to the form designer or properties or similar.

What's worse, the backup files that are supposed to be saved by Delphi don't seem to be generated - so any work done since my last save is lost.

Edited by Adam

On 5/2/2022 at 10:17 PM, Adam said:

Did you ever end up getting this resolved

Nope. It has been happening in 10.4.2 and 10.4.3. I have not upgrade my Delphi to 11 yet so I can't tell you about that.

Thanks for the reply and update. I guess I won't hold my breath that patches will resolve it then, if it's happened across 10.4.3 as well.

Maintenance fees seem to pay for more useless features in future releases, not ensuring previous releases get bugs fixed.

I'm done playing that game.

If it wasn't for all the corporate licenses that get automatically renewed every year even when they're using much older versions for their production needs, we might see bug fix releases for older versions.

Edited by David Schwartz

32 minutes ago, David Schwartz said:

Maintenance fees seem to pay for more useless features in future releases, not ensuring previous releases get bugs fixed.

I'm done playing that game.

If it wasn't for all the corporate licenses that get automatically renewed every year even when they're using much older versions for their production needs, we might see bug fix releases for older versions.

Fully agree. I couldn't name a version of Delphi now that has been released in recent years that ended up being 'stable' without serious bugs outstanding in it - promises to be fixed in the next version, which ends up getting new bugs introduced, and rinse and repeat. I've been with Delphi since Delphi 1. Seen some great times in the earlier years and I was a huge advocate for it. Now - I'd be warning people to stay clear. Still love the language but Embarcadero is just looking for a cash tree - and seems to care little about having a finished product - in any version, which is really sad to see as someone who comes from the early days.

• Like 2