wuwuxin

RAD Studio 10.4.2 crashes upon exit

My RAD Studio 10.4.2 works fine with opened project, but it ALWAYS crash upon exit (i.e., after I click the close button).  however, if I don't open any project, just open the IDE then close it,  no crash.

This doesn't impact my programming work, but quite annoying.

From Windows Event Viewer, I find the following info - I suspect the crash is related to some third-party component or some IDE expert.

Any one can shed some lights?

Faulting application name: bds.exe, version: 27.0.40680.4203, time stamp: 0x6030517d
Faulting module name: rtl270.bpl, version: 27.0.40680.4203, time stamp: 0x603056c0
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000fc74
Faulting process id: 0x30c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d799ee7598f2cd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\bin\bds.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\bin\rtl270.bpl
Report Id: 32b44a0f-9ac1-4bf2-81ae-72383b40e201
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edited by wuwuxin

I've had issues in the past (exception on exiting); I tracked it down to auto loading the desktop when starting/auto saving the desktop on exiting. 

2 hours ago, Rob Truby said:

I've had issues in the past (exception on exiting); I tracked it down to auto loading the desktop when starting/auto saving the desktop on exiting. 

@Rob Truby  Thank you for the heads up.   What should I do to fix this -  where I can turn off "auto saving desktop on exiting"?

54 minutes ago, wuwuxin said:

@Rob Truby  Thank you for the heads up.   What should I do to fix this -  where I can turn off "auto saving desktop on exiting"?

Try Tools| Options | IDE | Saving and Desktop > Autosave options

1 hour ago, Nigel Thomas said:

Try Tools| Options | IDE | Saving and Desktop > Autosave options 

@Nigel Thomas

Thank you.  I double checked - "Save project desktop when closing" was indeed turned off.  It seems not relevant to the crashing?

Anyway, thank you again.

9 hours ago, wuwuxin said:

My RAD Studio 10.4.2 works fine with opened project, but it ALWAYS crash upon exit (i.e., after I click the close button).  however, if I don't open any project, just open the IDE then close it,  no crash.

Is this the plain IDE or do you use some plugins?

For me, the periods when it goes OK and then the periods when it falls.
I told myself I wouldn't notice :classic_smile:

I've just been working on some IDE experts/wizards. It can be a little annoying ensuring a clean shutdown sometimes, and not always easy to identify the root problem.

I wish the IDE would allow for a registry config variable for displaying/hiding exceptions on shutdown. It is a bit annoying when 3rd parties behave badly. 😉 

Edited by darnocian

We had this issue at work, the root cause was a poorly written in-house IDE plugin.

As others already mentioned - start uninstalling / disabling plugins and then component suites. You'll quickly find the culprit.

My 2 cents.

I have been battling, or rather, living with the constant crashing of the Delphi Sydney 10.4.1 IDE for months and months.
All I had to do was open the IDE and close it to get the protected memory access error rtl270.bpl

I tried uninstalling all plugins (GExpert, Parnassus, etc).
No luck.

Following your directions I removed the installed libraries one by one and, as Murphy teaches, when I removed the penultimate one the problem disappeared.

Basically I was using an old, but not much, library called Graphics32 which in the IDE shutdown phase was sending everything into a tailspin. Updated to the latest version now everything works perfectly.

25 minutes ago, shineworld said:

Updated to the latest version

Staying up-to-date, with the latest stable versions of your libraries, is usually a good idea!
If you have proper unit and integration tests, keeping current should be low risk.