Darian Miller

RAD Studio 11 Alexandria is now available

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Has there been an improvement in maths performance?

no, nor any improvement in the codegen so far as I could tell

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Is there a list of language enhancements?

Here is the list of language improvements:

• binary integral literals (i.e. %0101 which equals 5 in decimal)
  • _ can be used as a digit separator for integral literals, e.g. const oneMillion = 1_000_000 (essentially the parser just ignores _ when parsing such literals)
  • inline asm support for AVX-512 instructions

Kinda lame that this is all there is.

What's new here: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Alexandria/en/What's_New

Edited by David Heffernan

41 minutes ago, Leif Uneus said:

A faster version of Pos() is finally in place. Thanks @Stefan Glienke for making it happen.

You're welcome - it is just a slightly improved version of what Aleksandr Sharahov already wrote years ago. Surprisingly they never used his purepascal code which compiles to almost the exact same code as the x86 asm version was doing.

There are more than a dozen other improvements in the RTL that I have worked on - I cannot fix their compiler but I can certainly improve some suboptimal RTL code.

• Thanks 19

web install exe failed for me,

started install - then error -could not find bds.exe (in the Studio\22.0\bin folder?

I will try the ISO image

**ISO image has same issue.

Many folders created, files copied.

BUT there is ***no*** BDS.EXE in the 22.0 \bin folder

ISSUE may be Path - I do get a warning but I have pruned down the path as best I can. 

WHY in this day and age would Delphi use PATH?

Edited by rudy999
updated info

2 hours ago, Sándor Bógáncs said:

Not working ...... But on the https://my.embarcadero.com/#registeredProduct page I can see all the licences including Delphi 11.

What to do?

Same for me. I have a clean Windows install, no previous version installed. No license file (.slip files) anywhere on the disk.
The license portal shows Rad Studio 11 Enterprise as Active and Registered.

No way to install it. Always telling me I need a valid license.

The Advanced > Update, Remove, Add again options have no effect besides making me lose my time (in any order or sequence).

I mean... c'mon, just handed 2'200USD to upgrade and can't install.

Edited by sjordi
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, Darian Miller said:

"To anyone trying to install RAD Studio 11, there is a hiccup on license refresh: In the Product Registration window please select the Advanced button, and in the License manager select your license and use the Update button. Alexandria gets added, continue with installation."

Does not work for me, The new version 11 is NOT listed, even after clicking Update.

I have contacted Support several hours ago, no answer yet.

This is not a nice experience.

Ole

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Skrim said:

Does not work for me, The new version 11 is NOT listed, even after clicking Update.

I have contacted Support several hours ago, no answer yet.

This is not a nice experience.

Ole

Worse for me. The 11 version IS listed but to no help.

Remove it, blank, add it. Says ok. But then complains about needing a valid license (copy/pasted from the My Embercadero portal, so no typo)

What I want to say, is that icons and overal look is really awesome 😍. As well as the splash screen. This is the first time when splash screen produce "wow effect", I think, since Delphi 4.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rudy999 said:

web install exe failed for me,

started install - then error -could not find bds.exe (in the Studio\22.0\bin folder?

I will try the ISO image

**ISO image has same issue.

Many folders created, files copied.

BUT there is ***no*** BDS.EXE in the 22.0 \bin folder

ISSUE may be Path - I do get a warning but I have pruned down the path as best I can. 

WHY in this day and age would Delphi use PATH?

UPDATE:

I deleted other applications that increased the system PATH variable to below 1800 and DID not get the install WARNING from the install routine and STILL got the error - BDS.EXE was not found in the folder, though many other files and folders were created.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

You're welcome - it is just a slightly improved version of what Aleksandr Sharahov already wrote years ago. Surprisingly they never used his purepascal code which compiles to almost the exact same code as the x86 asm version was doing.

There are more than a dozen other improvements in the RTL that I have worked on - I cannot fix their compiler but I can certainly improve some suboptimal RTL code.

Thanks for doing this, this is one place the community can help. Your efforts might inspire others to contribute.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Show of hands: Who mucks up their code with decimal separators? Or would that one accountant who happens to dabble in Delphi please stand up!

I do! And so does everyone else apparently. As I explained on Reddit last night, according to the Python Enhancement Proposal that was drawn up when Python wanted to add this feature, a version of this feature is already present in Ada, C#, C++, D, Java, Julia, Perl, Ruby, Rust and Swift (and subsequently Python and now Delphi). It makes it much easier to correctly read long numbers and be sure you've entered them correctly. In Python you can also use it to break up hexadecimal constants into words and binary literals into nibbles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sherlock said:

Show of hands: Who mucks up their code with decimal separators? Or would that one accountant who happens to dabble in Delphi please stand up!

Do mean decimal seps or thousands seps? 

7 hours ago, David Heffernan said:
  • _ can be used as a digit separator for integral literals, e.g. const oneMillion = 1_000_000 (essentially the parser just ignores _ when parsing such literals)

OK, that's two more things I can cross off my list of 35-45 improvements I wanted that I drew up in 2013. At the current rate of one to two items per release, as long as I don't add anything more to the list and they stop taking wishlist items back out (e.g. memory management) maybe another 15 years and I'll be all set. :classic_unsure:

Seriously, I've had this list sitting on my desk since 2013 and every time I encounter something I think Delphi needs I squeeze it onto the same sheet of paper. It's getting rather crowded. It took me a minute to find "binary const" squeezed in between "int to bin" and "automatic memory management".

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Contact their installation support?

I tried creating an installation support case on https://supportforms.embarcadero.com/ and when filling out the form and clicking on "Submit Case" button, the button becomes disabled, the text switches to "Please wait..." and nothing else happens.

• Sad 2

It looks like it's working now to install... they probably solved the license problem on their side.

Just launched it and it went through without problems. I'm not presented with the platform selection install dialog box. Good!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joseph MItzen said:

OK, that's two more things I can cross off my list of 35-45 improvements I wanted that I drew up in 2013.

These are nice features but they are also completely trivial. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Just be aware that the formatter can muck up the code if using these new language improvements.  (CTRL-D)

https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-35318

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Darian Miller said:

Just be aware that the formatter can muck up the code if using these new language improvements

Honestly you'd think they'd have got the memo by now!!! What is wrong with them?!! 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

I had Delphi 11 installed on my build server with the beta key. After updating the named network license on the ELC server, exporting the slip file and importing it with the license manager, I could simply remove the beta key and Delphi 11 started without any problems using the ELC server license.

You are the first person that has mentioned network license success.  It doesn't work for me on a clean machine.  I gave up on network license and did get it installed using my Beta key.  Both keys show up in License Manager and I just tried removing the Beta key and Delphi no longer starts.

In your ELC - when you visit the Manage Catalog screen, does RS11 show up?  (Mine does not...and I'm not sure how to add to that list, but is that even needed license activations.)  

Does your License Manager show "Delphi Enterprise" or does it mention 11 Alexandria?

"Delphi Enterprise" is what is displayed in my readme_xxxx.txt file - can you confirm what's in yours?

Delphi 11 Alexandria is listed as a product_name in in the catalog_xxxx.xml.

LicenseManager.thumb.png.3814ab8b7aecc9df1433f357460e400e.png

6 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Honestly you'd think they'd have got the memo by now!!! What is wrong with them?!! 

The formatter is old tech - given the pace of new features, I imagine a brand new formatter engine won't be available for two years or so, and then it'll take some iterations to get fully functional.  So - any new language feature (including inline vars going back to 10.3 in 2018) are years away from being supported by their internal code formatter.

I imagine that the consensus is the old formatter sucked so badly that they assume few people use it so only a few would notice that new language features aren't supported.  But I happen to like the code formatter and use it all the time so it blocks me from using new language features.