PeterPanettone

Delphi 11: Text size too small!

Successfully installed Delphi 11:

image.thumb.png.11e61bba0ca42ff54f6cfa4db298877c.png

But the text size in the Menu, Welcome page, Object Inspector, etc. is VERY SMALL! Is there a setting to increase the overall text size of the IDE GUI?

Edited by PeterPanettone

3 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Successfully installed Delphi 11:

But the text size in the Menu, Welcome page, Object Inspector, etc. is VERY SMALL! Is there a setting to increase the overall text size of the IDE GUI?

It would be good to specify your environment a bit. High DPI or ordinary?

Thanks for your interest in this question.

However,  the question was not about my system settings (which are OK for all my other applications). The question is about the overall text size in the Delphi 11 IDE which is too small.

Edited by PeterPanettone

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Theme

image.png.2bc31e9d275a57390f06f513a2ed7753.png

Changed it from 9 to 12. The IDE GUI now looks much better! This setting should be in the IDE OPTIONS!

Embarcadero talks a lot about optimizing the size of icons in applications built by developers. But they still use ridiculously small stone-age toolbar icons on their IDE Toolbar! Why the IDE does not allow to change the size of the toolbar icons? Are we still in the stone age?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

However,  the question was not about my system settings

Certainly your settings could be relevant. 

• Like 1

Did you watch the webinar today? In the webinar they spent some time talking about the new HIGH DPI settings.

If you have a 4k monitor that's more like 27" vs. 55" and your Windows settings are designed to compensate for things, the IDE is may be ignoring the system's compensatory mechanism and doing things itself.

I have a 4k 55" monitor and things look fine in Windows because everything is able to run at "normal" -- ie, uncompensated -- resolution. So it looks the same as 4 HD monitors running at HD DPI settings

But on a small monitor, it's too tiny to read. I have to go into the Windows Settings and tell it to compensate.

So the question about your SYSTEM SETTINGS IS 100% DEAD-ON.

This is more about your system than Delphi because this NEW version of Delphi probably overrides whatever your Windows settings are. And there are settings in Delphi as well.

• Like 2

In older IDEs, there used to be a simple slider in the status bar where you could adjust the font size. I couldn't find that in Delphi 11. Or was that some plug-in?

11 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

In older IDEs, there used to be a simple slider in the status bar where you could adjust the font size. I couldn't find that in Delphi 11. Or was that some plug-in?

No, it is standard and I can actually see it in Delphi 11 - directly right to the encoding drop down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

No, it is standard and I can actually see it in Delphi 11 - directly right to the encoding drop down.

We are not talking about the font size in the Code Editor but about the GUI font size (menus etc.).

39 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

We are not talking about the font size in the Code Editor but about the GUI font size (menus etc.).

Yes, I know. My answer was directed to Thomas' post about the missing slider, which affects the code editor font size, and the question about it being from a 3rd party plugin or not. It is not and it is also not missing in my installation.

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

image.png.f0d0717c177e7041667680c0b844ef8e.png

That is part of the IDE to control the font size in the Code Editor. It is NOT a plugin. We are talking about the GUI font size here (menus etc.).

3 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

I intepreted that to me the "font size" of the text editor, and the slider at the bottom of the editor window lets you do that. It's not a 3rd-party plugin.

I am not aware of anything that lets you adjust the "GUI font size (menus etc.)" including a slider. Maybe THAT WAS a 3rd-party plugin you saw.

15 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Theme

Changed it from 9 to 12. The IDE GUI now looks much better! This setting should be in the IDE OPTIONS!

Embarcadero talks a lot about optimizing the size of icons in applications built by developers. But they still use ridiculously small stone-age toolbar icons on their IDE Toolbar! Why the IDE does not allow to change the size of the toolbar icons? Are we still in the stone age?

And what next, button sizes? You definitely should try to set windows to 125% or 150% scaling and run it that way a few days. It will free you from the need to manually set fonts and icon sizes in each and every app, that you use.

57 minutes ago, Микола Петрівський said:

You definitely should try to set windows to 125% or 150% scaling and run it that way a few days. It will free you from the need to manually set fonts and icon sizes in each and every app, that you use.

This is not a topic about system settings but about the GUI font size in the Delphi IDE. Please read my original topic and keep a professional level.

Edited by PeterPanettone

5 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Please read my original topic and keep a professional level.

What the heck does this mean? People are trying to help you and the fact that you can't recognise it doesn't mean that they are unprofessional.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

It's there all right. I must have been very tired yesterday evening.

11 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

This is not a topic about system settings but about the GUI font size in the Delphi IDE. Please read my original topic and keep a professional level.

One of the biggest features of Delphi 11 is HiDPI support. Once you set Windows to 125% scaling, IDE will use that as well. Fonts, icons, buttons - everything will be 25% bigger.

16 hours ago, Микола Петрівський said:

Once you set Windows to 125% scaling

You deliberately make WRONG OFFTOPIC ASSUMPTIONS. But I don't want to talk about your wrong assumptions.

5 minutes ago, Микола Петрівський said:

I am making assumptions based on what I have read in this topic.

No. You are making assumptions out of your fantasy. But I don't want to talk about your fantasy.

49 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

Why is nobody else reporting this issue? 

Please stay on topic.

Edited by PeterPanettone