dummzeuch

The state of GExperts Support for Delphi 11

I reverted my changes from yesterday since as @Stefan Glienke also mentioned they didn't actually work as expected. Instead I applied the change @Achim Kalwa suggested: Set Scaled to true in the base form. This seems to work fine for simple dialogs as long as all monitors connected to the system are set to the same scaling.

I also started to adapt the configuration dialog. The Experts and Editor Experts tabs should now look fine, the rest still needs work.

I took the dpi switch out and installed the latest and the Config dialog opening tab looks a lot better and is usable..

image.thumb.png.eee6821cd9de22bdb33cc8aedc31699f.png

The General Tab needs a little more TLC. ;-)

image.thumb.png.e214a03d0e569e8690dd86d0e44f4656.png

The IDE & Code Editor tabs seem a little squashed but are usable.

image.thumb.png.16763c7c867fef8699cf6b8f9f6f6c00.png

Again, your efforts are very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian

The "General" tab should now also look OK. Just don't move the dialog between high DPI and 96 DPI monitors. If you do that, the form gets wider and wider and the font size grows. Not sure whether that's a GExperts or VCL problem.

The Uses Clause Manager is now high DPI aware (more or less). I had to increase the width quite a lot to make this work 😞

I'll be on vacation for a few days. Not sure whether I'll get much done during that time.

On one hand, work won't interfere. On the other hand, my wife might. 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

The "General" tab should now also look OK. Just don't move the dialog between high DPI and 96 DPI monitors. If you do that, the form gets wider and wider and the font size grows. Not sure whether that's a GExperts or VCL problem.

Probably a rounding problem? @pyscripter has created a dpi aware base form which IIRC uses muldiv to adjust to dpi changes.
Enjoy your vacation!

Update:

I think I have now figured out how to tackle the high DPI problems in GExperts. The following dialogs should now work fine:

• GExperts configuration dialog
  • Uses Clause Manager dialog
  • ASCII chart dialog
  • Goto expert dialog
  • Grep Configuration dialog (but not the Search or Results dialogs)

and a few others that I have forgotten.

Unfortunately setting Scaled = True didn't work well enough, at least in my setup of two monitors with different size and scaling (and that's my priority, because I work with it), so I ended up with directly handling the WM_DPICHANGED message for the dialogs.

I think I now got most of the modal dialogs show correctly in highDPI. There will probably be some glitches as I haven't had time to test them all yet.

• Like 2

If you are thinking of writing blog about the issues you had and how you resolved them, I would very much like to encourage you to do it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will deal with this in near future.

Hi Thomas,

Win 11 PC with latest (this week) updates.

FYI - Build 3656 fails to build for D2007 -

CodeGear Delphi for Win32 compiler version 18.5
    Copyright (c) 1983,2007 CodeGear

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Borland.Delphi.Targets(113,3): error : D:\GExperts\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder.pas(121) Error: E2029 $ENDIF expected but $IFEND found
    D:\GExperts\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder.pas(121) Error: E2029 $ENDIF expected but $IFEND found

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Borland.Delphi.Targets(113,3): error : GExpertsDelphi2007.dpr(247) Fatal: F2063 Could not compile used unit '..\..\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder
.pas'
    GExpertsDelphi2007.dpr(247) Fatal: F2063 Could not compile used unit '..\..\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder.pas'
Done building target "CoreCompile" in project "GExpertsDelphi2007.dproj" -- FAILED.

Done building project "GExpertsDelphi2007.dproj" -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Borland.Delphi.Targets(113,3): error : D:\GExperts\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder.pas(121) Error: E2029 $ENDIF expected but $IFEND found
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Borland.Delphi.Targets(113,3): error : GExpertsDelphi2007.dpr(247) Fatal: F2063 Could not compile used unit '..\..\source\TabOrder\GX_TabOrder.pas
'
    0 Warning(s)
    2 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:03.91
done building GExpertsDelphi2007.dproj
Press any key when ready...

D11 builds OK.

Ian

Hi Thomas,

Win 11, D11, build 3656.  4k monitor.

When I open the Expert Manager it doesn't allow me to do anything.  I just get the Windows error beeps when I click anywhere on it.

I can close the Expert Manager with Alt-F4.  And Delphi is fine.  So far. :-)

Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Branch said:

Fails to build for D2007 -

I only tried Delphi 11 before committing the changes. Thanks for letting me know.

18 minutes ago, Ian Branch said:

When I open the Expert Manager it doesn't allow me to do anything.  I just get the Windows error beeps when I click anywhere on it.

That is one of the dialogs I didn't test (obviously). But this is a rather odd error. I'll check that.

No problem Thomas.  Just trying to contribute.

If it makes any difference for the Experts Dialog - I open Delphi with the /highdpi:unaware switch.

Ummm.  Why does this appear, then disappear while D11 starts??

In earlier iterations it just flashed on/off screen.

Screenshot_11.jpg

12 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

fixed

10 hours ago, Ian Branch said:

Why does this appear, then disappear while D11 starts??

Screenshot_11.jpg

fixed too (same fix as for the Expert Manager)

The reason was that I tried to avoid flicker when adjusting for DPI changes which had the side effect of prematurely showing that form during construction.

• Thanks 3

I'm making progress with the dockable forms. The custom drawn listboxes in both, the Editor Bookmarks and the Grep Results form should now be drawn correctly on high DPI and low DPI monitors. Other dockable forms will probably be broken now while they looked OK before.

This also fixed some issues for non DPI aware versions of GExperts. Also I think the drawing errors  for comboboxes should now be fixed.

One major headache that's left are the icons on toolbars. They get lost when moving a form between two monitors with different DPI. No idea yet, how to fix this.

4 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

There is a now an installer for version 1.3.19 Alpha of GExperts for Delphi 11.

On my Parallels VM, the Grep Search window is too small, and not resizeable:

image.thumb.png.1889010ee833e1533bdb45d9f67aeddf.png

9 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

On my Parallels VM, the Grep Search window is too small, and not resizeable:

image.thumb.png.1889010ee833e1533bdb45d9f67aeddf.png

One or multiple monitors? Which resolution and DPI?