David Schwartz

D10.4.2 weirdness since recent Win 10 update

It seems like I've been getting an unusually large amount of Win10 updates forced upon me by Microsoft lately. I checked a setting to reduce the number of updates to as far out as I could, but it just kept loading stuff down.

I finally dug around and I think I figured out how to shut off the updater entirely. Of course, about two hours later I got another update....

Anyway, since one of those things came down last week, my Delphi 10.4.2 IDE has been unstable as hell. It freezes up when I open the Inspector and click on certain things. I can't close the app, and have to just force-quit the whole damn IDE and restart it.

Now I've got weird stuff happening, like when I right-click on things with a popup menu attached, the sender.popupcomponent is not pointing at the thing that was clicked. I can't even find the object that caused the click.

This is going through some Windows Messaging stuff. I can trace through the popup code in VCL.Controls. The sender is the TPopupMenu, but when it comes out in my app, it's the TMenuItem that was clicked, not the TPopupMenu. Classname is 'TMenuItem', although I can cast it to TPopupMenu and there's something in PopupComponent, but it's garbage.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed any weirdness with 10.4.2 in the IDE, particularly when debugging, in past couple of weeks, possibly due to Win 10 updates?

Edited by David Schwartz

Yes, I noticed.
My quality has deteriorated when I used the IDE. E.g. I will display the Welcome window, I will display GetIt. I am finished. The IDE itself does not respond to anything. All I have left is Task Manager.

• Sad 1

Sometimes the source of such problems isn't obvious at all. A while ago while having similar problems for a long time I observed in the Events window in the IDE when starting the app, a dll belonging to my Razer headset got injected into the app and caused a lot of strange behavior. After uninstalling the headset's driver, everything went back to normal.
Whenever I have similar problems, first I disable all non-essential programs in Task Manager > Startup. 

Disabling Windows Updates isn't a good idea. I'm not talking here about security and 0day exploits. Assuming that most developers have the Windows Update set to normal settings brings you to the same level as other developers and will give you a better chance to find somebody who might have similar problems like you and who might already have a solution. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fred Ahrens said:

Sometimes the source of such problems isn't obvious at all. A while ago while having similar problems for a long time I observed in the Events window in the IDE when starting the app, a dll belonging to my Razer headset got injected into the app and caused a lot of strange behavior. After uninstalling the headset's driver, everything went back to normal.
Whenever I have similar problems, first I disable all non-essential programs in Task Manager > Startup. 

Disabling Windows Updates isn't a good idea. I'm not talking here about security and 0day exploits. Assuming that most developers have the Windows Update set to normal settings brings you to the same level as other developers and will give you a better chance to find somebody who might have similar problems like you and who might already have a solution. 

I run Dephi on Win10 installed in a VirtualBox VM that I rarely use to access the internet. It mainly happens when I click something in Dephi's help and it goes out to the Wiki -- which half the time is a broken link. And there's very little that I install in it beyond a few common tools I use regularly and Delphi itself. 

Windows represents 95% of the stuff that gets downloaded directly into the VM, and I really hate the fact that it seem to be constantly downloading updates and running the background builds on things. 

I run AV checks from time to time and nothing turns up.

Only once did I have a problem. I shut the VM down, deleted it, and pulled the last backup copy off of the backup drive and went back to work. No more problem.