Reinier Sterkenburg

Delphi 11 - Customize Toolbar works very badly

Whenever a new Delphi version is out, there is this small tedious job I do of customizing the Toolbar.

I add some speedbuttons (Exit, Close All, Compile project, Project Options and a few more), and I delete a few others that I don't use.

(I never found a smart way to copy the settings from a previous Delphi version to a new version.

The Migration Tool never works. This time I tried migrating from 10.4 to 10.5. Version 11 wasn't listed, so I guessed 10.5 actually stands for 11.

Anyway. no luck there).

So I added some and removed some. Then restarted Delphi.

The result, in short: removal works, but adding does not. So removing for once is removing forever.

Well, actually, adding speedbuttons to the toolbar works during a session. Restart and they are gone again.

Anyone else seeing this? (shall i submit a bug report to QC?)

Is there a solution or workaround?

With shortcut "Delphi 11 (DPI Unaware)" works normalhere more details and here command line switches

7 hours ago, Reinier Sterkenburg said:

I never found a smart way to copy the settings from a previous Delphi version to a new version. 

I've been using an export of the registry entry since a few versions ago, at least for Toolbars. For example, from 10.4.2 to 11

Export to file .reg the entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Toolbars

I modify the file .reg with \21.0\ to \22.0\

Delete entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Toolbars

Then import .reg and "voila"... Delphi 11 with the same Toolbar configuration.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, y2nd66 said:

With shortcut "Delphi 11 (DPI Unaware)" works normalhere more details and here command line switches

I've been using an export of the registry entry since a few versions ago, at least for Toolbars. For example, from 10.4.2 to 11

Export to file .reg the entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\21.0\Toolbars

I modify the file .reg with \21.0\ to \22.0\

Delete entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Toolbars

Then import .reg and "voila"... Delphi 11 with the same Toolbar configuration.

I have tried that before and it didn't work for me.  (btw: I do use that same method to migrate my environment variables)
Tried it now and it had no effect at all. Nothing changed in the IDE (missing icons still missing).

The registry entries are overwritten when Delphi starts (I see it happening in the Registry Editor).

I wasn't expecting it to work anyway, also because the of the high DPI IDE overhaul, in which, as I understand it, also the bitmaps for the toolbar buttons have been replaced (with multi resolution images).

Did it work for you?

9 hours ago, Reinier Sterkenburg said:

Did it work for you?

Work for me, but only running IDE using

...bds.exe" "/highdpi:unaware" "-pDelphi"

without this /highdpi option IDE has an bug and sets the default toolbars at every start

Edited by y2nd66

On 9/16/2021 at 7:05 PM, y2nd66 said:

Work for me, but only running IDE using

...bds.exe" "/highdpi:unaware" "-pDelphi"

without this /highdpi option IDE has an bug and sets the default toolbars at every start

I tried that, doesn't work for me!, D11.1

• Like 1