Mike Torrettinni

Is it possible to see Git current working branch in IDE?

@Lars Fosdal thanks, I know how the info is in Sourcetree, but i want to see in IDE what feature (branch) the opened project is about.

1 hour ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Probably if you use CVS features of the IDE itself. I've never used it so can't say more precisely

Didn't know of it, will check. Thanks.

I enabled Git in IDE, but no info on what branch you are working on. Shame, it would pretty useful if there would very clear info, something like [Git: branch name], either in IDE title or in Project name in Project manager.

Too bad.

A custom wizard for this purpose must be pretty easy to implement 😉 or it probably could be added as a feature to expert monsters like GExperts or CnWizards

Hi...:classic_cool:

Is it possible to use TortoiseGit instead of SoureTree? Since TortoiseGIT looks at the local repository, it can mark the current path.

815_select.thumb.png.398c475236276e6a69a8e883a0770293.png

815_active.png

Mike wants to see the information in the RAD Studio IDE.

Everyone says no...but alternatives can solve the problem. :classic_happy:

12 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

VS Code and two plug-ins (Git Graph & Gitlens) lead to a fantastic git experience, in my view.

The branch name is always visible at the bottom

image.thumb.png.66eb81b94ef5ac36b7e6423c2b0f59dd.png

Yes, that looks good. I assume the info stays there when switching to .cpp code, right?

12 minutes ago, haentschman said:

but alternatives can solve the problem

He's already using SourceTree which displays the information......

Right when this thread started I thought: This may quickly turn into a Git client contest.

3 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Right when this thread started I thought: This may quickly turn into a Git client contest.

No, no, that was not my intention... it's just about getting branch name into the Delphi IDE.

Just now, Mike Torrettinni said:

that was not my intention

I know, but I also know how these things are usually going.

Well, to my defense I also posted the native git command that in theory can be implemented in a plugin to the IDE 😉

I want to point out that I do not use multiple working directories for different versions of the same project. Always the same directory, but with the appropriate version checked out.

With multiple working directories, it is so easy to accidentally pull up a file from the history list which refers to a file in the wrong directory for the version that you wanted to work on.
That said, I can have multiple versions checked out to different folders when I do comparisons in Beyond Compare or VS Code - but I always use the same working folder when working on the code. 

Hence, I find it sufficient to let the git client show it to me.

1 hour ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Yes, that looks good. I assume the info stays there when switching to .cpp code, right?

Sure. You can also click it to quickly check out some other branch/tag.

I haven't tried the VS Code integration in Delphi 11 yet, maybe that makes it even more appealing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD

this works for me better, it gives me branch name:

git branch --show-current

while your suggestion gives me last commit id in current branch, so something like '6d2fab...'

1 minute ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

I have git version version 2.28.0.windows.1. You?

Never mind, I copy pasted another ? char in the line. They return the same! Sorry

Edited by Mike Torrettinni

On 9/16/2021 at 4:03 AM, Mike Torrettinni said:

Is it possible to somehow see what is current project branch I'm working on, in IDE?

I don't think your original question was ever answered--lots of other information, though.

To answer your question, No, the Delphi IDE does not show the current Git branch, only recent commits. It has a nice difference viewer that augments the History pane of the editor but that's it; it uses the current branch of the repository folder.