PeterPanettone

Delphi 11 Alexandria: New Edit Window

In the View menu, we have the New Edit Window command. This creates a new instance of the Edit window which can be toggled between Code Editor and Form Designer in the same way as the embedded Code Editor, allowing for example to have the form Designer in the new external Editor window and the Code Editor in the embedded Editor instance. Unfortunately, this is not well thought out. For example, it would be useful to:

1. DOCK the new external Editor window inside the IDE framework in the same way as the other dockable tool windows

2. HIDE & SHOW the new external Editor window with a simple keyboard command 

3. Make the new external Editor window automatically a part of the DESKTOP LAYOUT of the PROJECT, so the new external Editor window is automatically restored when loading the project

These 3 features would make the New Edit Window command really useful! (In the current form it is useless).

Edited by PeterPanettone

Just because it doesn't have features you think are necessary doesn't mean it's useless. I really like this new window as I can open this up and move it to a second monitor so I can see either a different section of the code or the design view of the form while editing the code. In this use case, it wouldn't make sense to have it dockable. Also, I wouldn't need it for every unit, just occasionally for some forms or data modules--when I need it, the feature is there. I can see the benefit for making it dockable and saving it as part of a desktop layout but that's not the first thing I thought of.

I'm glad they added this feature. Perhaps there will be a dot release with enhancements you suggest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

Just because it doesn't have features you think are necessary doesn't mean it's useless.

I admit that my conclusion is subjective (just like yours). I should have said: "In the current form it is useless for me".

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the new edit window cannot be toggled to design which is how I would like it to work (or at least I can't find a way of doing so)!

Thanks. Strange. It seems fine now. Wen I tried before the Design tab was disabled.