PeterPanettone

Parnassus Bookmarks for Delphi 11 Alexandria?

4 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

When there are reasons, there should be public information - but there is just silence.

David Millington gave an update at the DelphiCon 2021. They are working on it: HighDPI + IDE integration delayed the publishing.

I was signed up but didn't have time to watch it - when I tried some of the interesting replays, they were not working.  
Why don't they do a blog post about it and indicate a timeframe for availability?

In a way, it is good that they have HighDPI issues since that means proper dogfooding, but I fear that we will be talking about update 1, and not a December hotfix.

Judging from all the HighDPI issues I've seen discussed, the right thing to do would be to break the mold and do it right. 

The current approach with kludges and workarounds = tech debt++.

• Like 3

To paraphrase a post; it now takes two MVPs to update a plug-in for D11 HighDPI..

• Haha 1

Without the wonderful Parnassus Bookmarks, is still there a kind of bookmarks in Delphi itself? I remember something in D2010, but it was naive compared to Parnassus, but still better than nothing though.

Yes, Delphi has had Toggle Bookmarks for a long time where you hit Ctrl+Shift+N (where "N" is the number 1..9) for 9 different bookmarks per file.

Since Delphi 10.1 Berlin, you can also use stack-based bookmarks but by default, they use a clumsy collection of the old WordStar key combinations I can't remember. The Bookmarks and Navigator plugins add a lot of nice features which make it usable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corneliusdavid said:

they use a clumsy collection of the old WordStar key combinations I can't remember

Your definition of clumsy is somebody else's definition of efficient. Ctrl+K Ctrl+G to drop a bookmark, Ctrl+Q Ctrl+G pick up the topmost bookmark, and Ctrl+Alt+Q Ctrl+Alt+G to replace the topmost bookmark is as difficult to remember as any other key combination. I actually appreciate that they did not take away yet another simple keyboard shortcut from us plug-in developers.

Talking about WordStar: Ctrl+K N and Ctrl+Q N is yet another key combination to access the Toggle Bookmarks, so these Stack Bookmarks shortcuts fit right in.

Edited by dummzeuch
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Your definition of clumsy is somebody else's definition of efficient.

True. If you like those key combinations better than Ctrl+Shift+B and Escape, then I guess you don't need the Parnassus plugins for stack bookmarks.

Edited by corneliusdavid

And for the record, I have used some WordStar key combinations, such as Ctrl+K Ctrl+I and Ctrl+K Ctrl+U for indenting and unindenting blocks of code before Tab and Shift+Tab were implemented. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:13 AM, dummzeuch said:

Talking about WordStar: Ctrl+K N and Ctrl+Q N is yet another key combination to access the Toggle Bookmarks, so these Stack Bookmarks shortcuts fit right in.

Ctrl+Shift+Number to place a bookmark and Ctrl+Number to go to bookmark is a bit faster.

I am using AutoHotKey, which allows to remap pressed keys, so I have created a simple script, which remaps Ctrl+Shift+Number and Ctrl+Number to its Ctrl+K/Ctrl+Q counterparts. If you want to try, I have attached this script; it should be put in AutoHotkey.ahk.

This works for "IDE classic" key mapping in Delphi.

Bookmarks.txt

• Like 2

If you're willing to install AutoHotKey, these two scripts can substitute for the Parnassus stack bookmarks:

#IfWinActive ahk_class TAppBuilder
^n::
Send ^k^g
return

#IfWinActive ahk_class TAppBuilder
Escape::
Send ^q^g
return

I'm using Ctrl-n to drop a marker, and Esc will collect the last marker. Works well for me. 

• Thanks 1

I loved Parnassus plug-ins, but the delayed updates, combined with odd DLL issues I was having when trying to manage multiple versions of Delphi while using the plug-ins and having to use Get-It forced me to un-learn my reliance on them. Usable navigation, a minimap, and improved bookmarks should all be native in the IDE at this point, IMO.

As someone else mentioned, I am glad that their high-dpi updates broke these plug-ins, finally someone at Emba actually has to USE the mess that is Delphi high-DPI support. That's the only way it will ever be truly fixed. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brandon Staggs said:

I loved Parnassus plug-ins, but the delayed updates, combined with odd DLL issues I was having when trying to manage multiple versions of Delphi while using the plug-ins and having to use Get-It forced me to un-learn my reliance on them. Usable navigation, a minimap, and improved bookmarks should all be native in the IDE at this point, IMO.

As someone else mentioned, I am glad that their high-dpi updates broke these plug-ins, finally someone at Emba actually has to USE the mess that is Delphi high-DPI support. That's the only way it will ever be truly fixed. 

Yes, totally agree. And you know what? Now I got re-used to the old Delphi IDE bookmarks system again and I I like it, it's fast and does it's job. I think I don't even reinstall the Parnassus add-ons if available.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Silver Black said:

Now I got re-used to the old Delphi IDE bookmarks

Notepad++ next 🙂

• Haha 2

Hi. I'm sorry we could not (or did not) update earlier.

The delay is not to do with high DPI. The plugins should work fine with high DPI 🙂 The delay has been integrating and changing our build system. They were integrated as third party projects and we have been bringing them into our normal system (they'll still be shipped in GetIt as installable plugins for the foreseeable future.) We haven't wanted to promise a date, but (without promising) I would expect them to be available with 11.1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11.1. it's november 1? In this case, it does not look like this for the foreseeable future:classic_rolleyes:

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stano said:

11.1. it's november 1? In this case, it does not look like this for the foreseeable future:classic_rolleyes:

I was about to post something similar, when I realized that David was talking about the Delphi 11.1 release.

9 minutes ago, CoMPi74 said:

Any news?

David Millington answered earlier that it will be most probably Delphi 11.1. Next week is the webinar "What's Coming in RAD Studio" there we can expect to get a promise that it will be available as soon as they can compile it (I mean alpha tested for us to do the beta testing).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lajos Juhász said:

we can expect to get a promise that it will be available as soon as they can compile it (I mean alpha tested for us to do the beta testing).

Don't you think that could be seen as a bit rude by the beta testers working on it for quite some weeks now? I mean, as long as you have an active subscription you are welcome to participate in the beta and weed out all the things itching you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Don't you think that could be seen as a bit rude by the beta testers working on it for quite some weeks now?

I was unaware that there is a beta testing (as it usually requires an NDA). In my defense never said that beta testers doesn't do their part of the work. But we already know that usually after the release there is a larger amount of tickets that stay opened.

The only information from webinars I have that David Millington was beta testing some unreleased version of C++.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:57 PM, David Millington said:

They were integrated as third party projects and we have been bringing them into our normal system (they'll still be shipped in GetIt as installable plugins for the foreseeable future.) We haven't wanted to promise a date, but (without promising) I would expect them to be available with 11.1.

I think you would do everybody a favor if these plugins were completely disassociated from the core product and from Embarcadero. As it is now, being marketed as "official plugins", people expect them to be of a certain quality and to be delivered on schedule with the core product and there's obviously no resources to make that happen. If they were just "some dudes hobby project" then people would know what to expect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

"some dudes hobby project"

The entire product sometimes feels like that. <🙁>  And the website's erratic availability definitely feels like that.  

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yes, it does feel like it.

But there's the old adage about never installing anything ".0" and Alexandra is 11.0 is it not? Yes, I have it installed but I've not migrated anything to it. And why apparently some shops have ported projects to it is something I can understand only in very narrow circumstances.

As some one that purchases the license to RAD Studio, it's a bit disappointing it's not ready for prime time. And I'm not just referring to the current issue of the Parnassus bookmark facility, I'm also looking at the list of open issues on the QC site.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1